Northern CA newbie question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northern CA newbie question

Hello, newbie here. I have never laid a brick before but have been doing a lot of reading in on this site lately, thanks for all the great info!

Anyway, have you heard of this kit from DIY BBQ Do It Yourself Foam Pizza Oven Form Kit ?

Any experiences? comments? I have a tight budget and this seems cheaper that other "kit" options out there.

Thanks!

Re: Northern CA newbie question

Hello Haic18

I have built this oven about a year and a half ago. I did not get their foam form to do the build. Their instructions at that time lead me astray in as much as there was no insulation under the hearth or over the oven shell. It works but it takes a long time to heat up and loses heat quickly. I have added insulation to the shell but can't do anything about the hearth. After cooking pizza in the evening the oven is barley warm next morning.
    There is not much room on the cooking floor. If you have to have the fire at the back of the oven you get uneven heating and if you put the fire down one side there is little cooking room.
    You would do better to check out the Forno Brovo oven plans.

Comment

Re: Northern CA newbie question

Haic18,

Caveat Emptor - Latin for ?Let the buyer beware.? It means that a customer should be cautious and alert to the possibility of being cheated.

You were wise to inquire about this oven (form), as it has surfaced on the FB site previously. It is manufactured and marketed by Brickwood Ovens, and promises the romance and production of a true brick oven at at unrealistic price.

The Brickwood Oven is a sham, plain and simple. As DavidApp described, it contains multiple serious design flaws that prevent it from even coming close to functioning as a real wood-fired oven. While the oven looks like it would work, it is small, will never get to proper pizza temp, consume inordinate (and expensive) amounts of wood, throw smoke in the face of it's operator and bleed residual heat like a sieve. Forget baking bread or slow roasts. I feel for the vast number of unsuspecting customers who invested their money and time in the Brickwood Oven only to be left with a tiny 'firepit on a stand'.

You can review Brickwood Ovens problems here:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/b...hat-19699.html

Despite these flaws the folks at Brickwood Ovens continue to peddle their inferior product and have grown immune to the steady flow of complaints from unhappy customers to the point that they felt compelled to disable the Comments Section on their YouTube video.

My advice: learn how a real WFO is constructed and operates (take a look at the residential Forno Bravo ovens) or download the free plans. If you are inclined to build an oven, there is a boatload of builders here willing to answer your questions and help you.

Comment

Working...
      X