Started my Build in Georgia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Started my Build in Georgia

Can you have too big a reveal on the inner arch. I am thinking of 1 1/2" in the arch and 3/4" on the sides
    Not really. The bigger the reveal, the more distance between the inside of the arch and the inside of your entryway walls. This translates to maximum visual and tool access to the sides of your oven (along with a flared entryway). It also facilitates easy insertion and removal of a door, not to mention room for a decent door flange.

I went with 1.25" and it works fine.

Comment

I agree with GianniFoccacia about a large reveal. Though, I did not have the "stones" to attempt a "flaired" entry .

My reveal is 3 and 1/2" (all around). That allows me the side-to-side room for the tools .

Why are you contemplating a larger reveal at the top of your arch than on the sides .
      Last edited by Gulf; 01-13-2015, 06:09 PM.
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Hello GianniFocaccia and Gulf

The reason I am planning on larger reveal is I am going to separate the vent from the dome by a small gap filled with Wood Stove door fiberglass gasket material. So I am going to cut a "L" shape out of the vent arch bricks and lap them over the inner arch. There will be a space (about 4") for the smoke chamber then the front part of the vent arch.
        The sketch may help you to see what I am planning.

The photo is my IT temporary leg.

Thank you for the help.

David

Comment

This my Vcrete casting for the vent arch support.

I went with Vcrete because I ran out of FB and did not want to buy another sheet for the arch support.
          It seems to have set up well. 5:1 ratio Perlite to Portland cement. Hope the 0.05% Miracle grow in the perlite will not have a bad effect on the block.

Comment

The "temporary leg to the IT" for over the inner arch, is a great idea!. I wish that I had of thought of that .
            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Hello Gulf

Thank you.

The idea came to me as I was walking. I was trying to work out how to make it across the arch without the dip.

That is the good thing about this forum ideas breed ideas.

David

Comment

The L-shaped vent-to-oven arch bricks are not only elegant, but functional. As I told Colin, I wish I had done that with my oven. If you haven't seen it, here is how Colin did it:

(http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...bee-18249.html (new build in werribee)

Comment

Started cutting the bricks in half then in 3. Now I am starting to cut some into 4 pieces to try to avoid having joints line up. I think that is called a running bond.
                  I am also grinding the bottom corners of the brick segments so that they do not form a gap below the brick.
                  A few more chains to go.

David

Comment

Almost there.

Just 4 more on the last chain then the plug.

David

Comment

Looks a good job.
                      Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Hello Steve

Thank you. I am very happy with the way it has come out.
                        This forum is the reason it has gone this well with all the photos, ideas and help.

I have made and fitted the plug in the dome and removed the IT and temporary floor.

The method I used to get the plug shape is as follows.
                        I pulled a piece of plywood up inside the dome and held it there with one of my brick holding sticks. Then drew the hole profile on the plywood and marked 2 bricks where I was going to divide the plug.
                        Then I took a piece of poly sheet and placed it over the hole and drew around the hole taking care to make the division marks.
                        Then transferred this to the two pieces of brick and went to work with the wet saw and angle grinder.
                        On the temporary floor that I attached the IT to I decided to split it to make removal through the vent opening possible and also remembered to screw it together from the top. It worked came out like a charm.

Now it is on to the entry.

Work may get in the way of progress for a while.
                        David

Comment

The plug plan photo. I forgot it in the last post

Comment

WOOOT congrats David on the dome closing! Looks great. Every time I put in a brick I could tell myself .. one brick closer to being done! Closing the dome is a great feeling for sure!

Tony
                            Tony

Link to my oven build thread:
                            40 inch indoor pompeii in NNY

Comment

Superb craftsmanship and speed. Nicely done, David.

Comment

Hello Tony and GianniFocaccia

Thank you for your kind comments. I am very happy with the way it came out.
                                A great feeling to get that part finished.

I am fortunate to have a job that allowed me a lot of free time over Christmas so I could spend almost all of the last few weeks working on it. Got to go back to work next week so work will come to a stop for a while. Give the mortar time to dry out.

Tony I have been looking around our kitchen to see if an oven would fit. Don't think there is room and a third oven may be a stretch.
                                Your oven looks great and real convenient and the brickwork is super neat. Did you end up wasting much of the bricks with your system of cutting gradually smaller brick segments?
                                I just made 3 cuts for 1/2 bricks 4 cuts for 1/3 bricks and 5 cuts for 1/4 bricks.

David

Comment

Working...
                                X