Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Started my Build in Georgia

Hello All

When I have all the Blanket insulation installed is it a good idea to put a sheet of plastic under the chicken wire or stucco expanded metal before applying the stucco coat?
    Seems that having gone to some length to get rid of moisture in the brick and insulation that putting wet stucco on the insulation is not a good move.
    The stucco should be waterproof right?

The oven was 390 degrees this morning walls and floor. I have only got 2"of blanket on it at the moment. Going to do another inch before I do the stucco coat.

David

Comment

you don't want to do that. It will probably melt anyway and smell. The stucco will have trapped moisture and will have to cure. But this isn't as careful a process as curing the dome since this moisture is outside the dome and can escape. and the stucco will cure on its own over time.

Texman
      Texman Kitchen
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Last night when I had the oven into the low 900s for some time, half of the dome cleared. The outside surface of the insulation was hardly warm. I still have at least another 1" of insulation to go before the stucco coat.
        I was thinking of it in a similar way to the plastic vapor barrier I put under the hearth insulation.

David

Comment

Any thoughts on Chicken wire verses stucco expanded metal?

David

Comment

The oven will have moisture from cooking and condensation that works upward. A lot of the domes even build in a vent in the igloo to allow for moisture to escape from the igloo. The waterproof barrier should be on the exterior of the stucco to keep moisture out, but you want any moisture from inside to have a way out.
            Make sense?

Texman
            Texman Kitchen
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Expanded metal is overkill, IMO. Pulled sufficiently tight, chicken wire is plenty strong enough.

Comment

I agree. I don't even use chicken wire, because it takes so long, but prefer a layer of 10;1 vermicrete to hold the blanket in place and to get a nice lump free form, then render with random fibre reinforcing.
                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I had bought the expanded metal for the other oven but did not use it because it was too hard to hold the barrel vault shape. I was thinking of using it because that is what Forno Brovo uses it in the you tube video of the oven being coated in stuco.

My pizza oven tools.

The turning peel is made from an old 7 1/2" skill saw blade with the teeth ground off.
                  The brush is from a big box store with a rake handle added.
                  The scrapers are made from pieces of steel I had laying around.

David

Comment

My First Pizza.

It was good.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidApp View Post
                      My First Pizza.

It was good.
                      Excellent!

The vast splendor of the universe may be glimpsed through the simple meditation of fermenting a dough and cooking it in a wood-fired oven - both made with the same hands.

Comment

Cooked Pizza on Saturday night. Everything went very well but I did not get any photos.
                        Sunday I got the fire going again to bring the heat up a bit. Reheated Sunday lunch and when the fire died down put a loaf of bread in the oven. It was great. Crispy crust and a slight wood oven flavor.

David

Comment

When the pizza is good there is no time for the pics. The bread looks good. Sounds like you are well on the way. Congratulations.
                          Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Nice looking build David. Great job I only hope I can come close to what you did.

Randy

Comment

Hello Randy

Thank you for the kind comments.
                              I am very pleased with the way things turned out. The help and advice I got in this forum is largely the reason that things went so well.
                              Now I am trying to learn how to use the heat in the oven. Put some bread in when the temp was a bit high. Almost smoking bread.

You are starting out in the right place to get the best help around.

David

Comment

Getting ready to apply the stucco coat on my oven and I have found that the local big box stores no longer carry Stucco mix.
                                They suggested using mortar mix instead.
                                Any thoughts on this.

I have seen recipes for Stucco mixes using Portland cement, Hydrated lime and sand.

David

Comment

Working...
                                X