Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dome connection

Hi
    I have seen quite a few build pictures were the opening of the dome is separate from the from the entry part of the build , meaning the bricks are not interlocked. I would imagine that the oven dome has the potential for a lot more movement during heating and cooling than the entry. What problems or experiences have others had because of this, is there more potential for mortar separation at this point. Or more to the point which way is better.
    Thanks Bill

Re: Dome connection

Hello Bill

I have almost arrived at the dome vent transition point in my build. (Started my build in Georgia)

I have decided to leave a gap between the dome and vent. I will seal the joint with Fiberglass seal used on Wood stove doors. I think that will take the temperature. I will use 2 strands of rope across the arch. I will cut groves in the mating faces of the column and inner arch column to accommodate the rope.
    My reason for building them separate is I feel it will help with heat retention and there is bound to be movement caused by expansion so I want to try accommodate any movement that may occur.

David

Comment

Hi David
      I have seen on the forum others who have done what you are doing, but if my memory is correct they are enclosing the whole oven. If as I want to do insulate and stucco the dome . I would think at the transition from the dome to the exposed chimney and entrance brick that there might be a problem with weather proofing. Perhaps as I get to that area I can figure it out. Are you enclosing your oven.
      Thanks for the response
      Bill

Comment

Originally posted by william View Post
        Hi
        I have seen quite a few build pictures were the opening of the dome is separate from the from the entry part of the build , meaning the bricks are not interlocked. I would imagine that the oven dome has the potential for a lot more movement during heating and cooling than the entry. What problems or experiences have others had because of this, is there more potential for mortar separation at this point. Or more to the point which way is better.
        Thanks Bill
        Most (if not nearly all) ovens are built with the dome first and then the entry arch butted up against it. Some builders (me included) go further and leave a slight heat break between the two to try to mitigate heat loss from the dome to the arch.

I don't think you want to integrate the two structures tightly, as the dome gets much much hotter the the entry arch - and differential heat expansion rates could lead to lots of cracking, of both the dome and the arch.
        My build progress
        My WFO Journal on Facebook
        My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Hello Bill

I am not going to enclose my oven. I am building in my covered breezeway so an enclosure is not necessary.

I will bring the dome stucco up to the vent brickwork. I am assuming that the outside of the vent should not get too hot and expansion should not be a problem. Also if cracks develop between the stucco and brickwork it should not be a big deal as it is under cover.
          My problem is going to be getting the chimney through the roof.

You could just build a roof over our oven instead of fully enclosing it. I have seen photos of that somewhere on this forum.

David

Comment

Hi
            I can't put a roof were I am building, I built an oven 25 years ago and remember that were the oven and the entry met there was separation after a few years, they do make high temperature caulking which I could use, just thought with all the builds here it might have been addressed.
            good luck with your project looks like a great area for an oven.
            Bill

Comment

Working...
            X