Semi-portable WFO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Semi-portable WFO

Hi Everyone. I just started planning my WFO and the info on this site is top notch.

The oven I want to build is a 34? inside diameter igloo, however I want to build it so that I can move it into a bigger house in a few years. The big problem with designing a semi-portable pizza oven is trying to lighten it up without sacrificing the properties that make it a great oven in the first place.

I?m currently considering the following options to reduce weight:
    1. Build the oven on 3/8? or ?? plate steel instead of a concrete hearth.
    - I?m planning on welding on lifting eyes to help with the eventual move
    - The steel plate would still rest on concrete block support
    2.Use 3? thick firebrick for the dome instead of the 4.5? thickness proposed in the FB Pompeii design guide.

Anyone have any experience with this? I still want to use the oven for cooking things other than pizza (breads, roasts, etc) so I?m not particularly interested in building an oven any smaller. I?m a little concerned that the reduced thickness of firebrick be a problem.

Thanks.
    C.

Re: Semi-portable WFO

I built my oven as a barrel vault and wanted it to be able to moved in the future as well. Not exactly what you're looking for, however, I think you'll get some ideas from it. The main points being, lighter weight, thin walled, metal stand/base, and well performing.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...els-19037.html

Comment

Thanks okn. Your steel frame gave me some good ideas for my frame.

Did you end up adding wheels?

Comment

Yes I added wheels, however my pizza oven stays put. My particular situation is very tight so I am not able to bring in heavy equipment to move the oven around. So, I think having the wheels will be beneficial when it comes time to move it.

Comment

Working...
        X