Oven Landing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven Landing

I just picked up my Casa 100 from Forno Bravo's warehouse in Windsor just yesterday. My stand is complete and now ready to assemble the oven. I will be utilizing the Super Isol boards and I have a question in regards to the landing. I am having a landing built from granite and I am wondering what is the best way to install it. If I bring the Super Isol all the way to the front edge, will the landing adhere to the board? Or should the Super Isol butt up to the landing?

I am anxious in getting started this weekend, so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Re: Oven Landing

Ciao Luciano,

I would only use the SuperIsol under the oven and vent landing, and use something more traditional, such as concrete or concrete board to build up your oven landing to be level to where your landing and oven floor meet. It will adhere a little better, cost less and be easier to install.

Does that work?

I know you don't want to hear this, but it's been a beautiful spring here.
    James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Thanks James and yes, did not want to hear how nice it is in la Toscana. I spoke with two of my uncles on Easter and they mentioned the same thing....I am jealous.

Okay, thanks for the input on the landing and now a couple more questions. How far beyond the actual oven does the Super Isol need to extend? And, is it necessary to use Refrax or I have also read a sand/fireclay mixture be placed between the oven floor and the Super Isol? Otherwise, I am ready to commence this weekend. Look forward to anyones input.

Ciao per ora!

Comment

Originally posted by dalucca2003 View Post
        And, is it necessary to use Refrax or I have also read a sand/fireclay mixture be placed between the oven floor and the Super Isol?
        I built my Casa110 and placed the floor and the dome directly on the SuperIsol board. All without any sand. mortar, or adhesives.

Many months and many pizzas later, it is doing fine.

J W

Comment

Luciano,
          I would put it under the oven chamber itself, which with the Casa oven also includes the vent walls and the vent landing. You will be butting your oven landing up the vent landing -- and that's the part the does not need to be insulating material, where it is more important to set your landing level with the cooking floor.
          James
          Last edited by james; 04-27-2007, 04:02 AM.
          Pizza Ovens
          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Dalucca - I would love to hear how it is going to for you. I see you are in Roseville, I am in Rocklin and have had my hearth poured for about a month. This weekend will be laying my oven floor.

Comment

I am planning on laying a bed of sand/fireclay between the floor tiles and the SuperIsol. I purchased Silica sand and am hoping that will be okay. Also, should the mixture be laid wet or dry? Planning on laying everything this weekend.

Comment

Hi Lou,

I know you and I talked about this outside of the forum, but I wanted to make a note here as well. I think making the paste of fireclay and sand with a little water would be good. You can use a notched trowel to spread the paste, making it easier to get your cooking floor pieces level to smooth to each other.
                James
                Pizza Ovens
                Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Is Silica sand okay and are we talking a 50/50 mixture of sand and fireclay?

Comment

Hi Lou,

Yes, 1:1 (50/50) is perfect, and any fine screen sand for masonry from Home Depot or Lowes will be good. I think the size of the grains in general purpose/play sand will be too large.
                    James
                    Pizza Ovens
                    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Floor has been laid...ready for the dome

Comment

Working...
                      X