Dome mortar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dome mortar

I have finished my dome and used standard brick mortar from home Depot. Is there going to be a problem with the build? Will the standard bagged mortar mix hold up to the oven use? I am a little worried at this point.....should I start over?

Thanks

Re: Dome mortar

I would I think it will fail, you will have all that work and it will not last. it wont happen right away but it will fail very soon depends on how much you use it.
    Best Regards...
    Gugahulk!

My Build...

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/w...-fl-21793.html

BUILD IT AND THEY WILL COME
    Food will always be the best way to spend time with family & friends, and that is all that really matters.
    STOP THINKING ABOUT IT AND DO IT!

Comment

It will fail, but at this point so what? You have 2 options:

1.Tear it down and redo it.

2.Use the crap out of it and rebuild it when it fails.

I would go with option 2, since you have no idea how long it will last as is.

Comment

And note that there is a BIG difference between a recommendation to use regular mortar in a future build (never), and a recommendation to use regular mortar in an already built oven (might as well).

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
          2.Use the crap out of it and rebuild it when it fails.

I would go with option 2, since you have no idea how long it will last as is.
          I laughed out loud when I read this... And I agree. I don't think I'd spend much on insulation and such, but use it till it does fall apart.

Comment

If it ain't broke yet. Drive it like you stole it. Then of course build it better the next time.
            Chip

Comment

Your dome may or may not fail, but there's only one way to find out; use it. A lot depends on the construction as a dome is inherently very stable even without mortar as gravity pushes the bricks together. As has been said, I wouldn't spend too much time/effort/money on a finish just yet, but I used my 'bare' dome quite successfully for a year before insulating it so all is not lost.
              Build thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/m...sts-20752.html

Comment

Working...
              X