Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!

I have been working on my dome wood oven and have completed the dome portion. The question I need an answer to is I have used regular sacked mortar in the construction. Is this a problem? Should I start over with a fire clay mortar? Just need help with this issue. thanks in advance. Tom

Re: Help!

Hello Tompyro

I am no expert on concrete mixtures but I understand that regular concrete will crumble when exposed to the temperatures that these ovens regularly reach.

My thermometer is rated to 1000 degrees F and it regularly goes off the scale in the dome.

As to the question should I start again that is a hard call but now would be the best time to do it.

David

Comment

If you're looking for a long term use oven then stop now and use either refractory or fire resistant mortar (home brew).
      Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
      John Ruskin

Comment

i would start over. Clean the bricks and number them on the outside before deconstruction so you can speed up the process. I had to reconstruct my oven due to different situation, but it isnt as bad as you think. Use the homebrew mix found on the forum. cheap and works very well. Sorry to hear of your troubles, but you will be much happier in the long run and wont be worrying when the dome will fall.

Texman
        Texman Kitchen
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Working...
        X