Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An appropriate mortar? (Alsey Pilot 3000-T)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An appropriate mortar? (Alsey Pilot 3000-T)

All,

When purchasing all of my materials, I also picked-up 3 55lb containers of the Alsey refractory mortar (Pilot 3000-T) On the Alsey web-site, they describe the mortar as:

PILOT 3000-T
    Wet Air-Setting Super Duty Mortar
    Troweling Grade

My intention was to use this mortar as a thin layer over top of my ceramic fiber board to set the oven floor, and to use as a mortar between bricks on my barrel-domed cooking chamber.

Now, after reading more than is probably good for me! ...I am wondering if I purchased the right "stuff"...or should I just go for the home-brew recommendations? Any experience with this product? Will it meet my needs? Any areas of concern?

In a perfect world, my dome will (hopefully) resemble this.

Thanks!
    Kevin
    Last edited by Brodek; 04-02-2015, 06:16 PM. Reason: used incorrect number at the top. Corrected to 3000

Re: An appropriate mortar? (Alsey Pilot 3000-T)

The thing is, that mortar is designed for normal refractory use, i.e. >1/8" joints. If used in joints much bigger than this, there is a excessive amount of shrinkage cracking. It works great for it's intended use, but ovens with their wide joints are not the intended use. It is also water soluble, but that is not much of an issue.

If possible, I would return it. If that is not practical, use it straight for the under floor, but add blasting sand (about 3 parts by volume) in a medium to fine grade to help with the shrinkage cracking.

Comment

Working...
    X