Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 36 inch corner build - question on FB plans

Hello,

I was about to redesign my outdoor oven and change around a few things. I know plan to put in a corner oven at 36" instead of a bigger square oven, but have a question on the plans as they seem somewhat inconsistent on the size.

I am looking at the ver 2.0 plans (is that the most up to date, or have I missed something?) on the first picture it states the oven vent is 6" and oven landing is 12", and total footprint for the hearth is 57" by 70".

In the second pic for the 36" corner oven the measurements do not appear to leave enough space for brick width and insulation (only 5 inches), and oven vent and landing appears to be only approx 4.5"?

Any interesting corner build threads anyone can suggest I can look at?

Re: 36 inch corner build - question on FB plans

Second pic in this reply, as I could not post 2 pics in my original

Thanks everyone,

Mullins

Comment

Agreed, the math doesn't add up for me either. If you're looking at a 36" inside (cooking area) using 1/2 length firebricks (4.5" x2) for the dome, and 3" of dome insulation (3" x2) + some stucco type coating -- say 2" thick (2" x2), then I get a total of 55" outside completed oven diameter with an additional 18" on the landings. So, at a minimum I would be building a stand that could accommodate a 55" x 73" structure.

I built my corner foundation slab slightly bigger than I expected to use for my 39" ID oven and still was right on the edge on the back side. You might want to take a look at my corner build since I took a slightly different track for wood storage (cart bays built into the wings of the foundation stand).

Although the plans are great for giving you a good overview of the project, you're smart to be thinking about exactly what your build will involve rather than totally trusting the free plans. For example, when I built a screened enclosure around my oven, I built it a little snug. It wasn't a problem until I went to add finishing plywood on the inside and found I couldn't fit my power drill/screwdriver between my stand and the plywood sheet

Keep thinking and planning before any mortar hits the bricks...one of my favorite closing signatures on the forum is "Measure twice, cut once, fit in place with largest hammer..."
      Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
      Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
      Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
      Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hi Mike,

I started looking into other threads and found a few on the same topic. The picture in my second post is actually the external measurements and not internal. So it i want a 36" interior, I have to look at the exterior 40" diagram... (the oven landing measurements are still not correct, but less wrong!)

Thanks for your help, your build looks sweet!

Eoin

Comment

Originally posted by Mullins View Post
          Second pic in this reply, as I could not post 2 pics in my original

Thanks everyone,

Mullins
          G'day
          If you check out the page No you'll find its page No 13....
          If it only serves the purpose of making you double check your measurements...its a good thing.
          Regards dave
          Last edited by cobblerdave; 04-15-2015, 07:29 PM. Reason: Speeling
          Measure twice
          Cut once
          Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
          My Door
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by Mullins View Post
            Hi Mike,

I started looking into other threads and found a few on the same topic. The picture in my second post is actually the external measurements and not internal. So it i want a 36" interior, I have to look at the exterior 40" diagram... (the oven landing measurements are still not correct, but less wrong!)

Thanks for your help, your build looks sweet!

Eoin
            I had the same issues with the corner oven plans, I think the diagrams are wrong. If you go for a 36" interior, you should add two brick widths to it, so it would be 44"-45", depending on the width of the brick. I used 4" wide brick and my oven is 44" left-to-right, and I think 40" front-to-back (measured from the arch, not including the vent landing). I don't remember the measurements of the base, but I can check tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by hubert_s View Post
              I had the same issues with the corner oven plans, I think the diagrams are wrong. If you go for a 36" interior, you should add two brick widths to it, so it would be 44"-45", depending on the width of the brick. I used 4" wide brick and my oven is 44" left-to-right, and I think 40" front-to-back (measured from the arch, not including the vent landing). I don't remember the measurements of the base, but I can check tonight.

Hi Hubert,

Yes you are correct, and I had that dawning realisation earlier today during a four hour car journey...

I will check out your build and see how you did the rest of your build out of interest! Interested I'm that 40" front to back measurement also!

Thanks,

Eoin

Comment

I'm with the OP on corner dimensions seeming a little off for a 36". I'm building one now and after I computed bricks, insulation, stucco coat I decided to go with a 62" x 62" corner base. I already had the patio pad poured and just started to lay blocks in both directions until I had the elbow room I thought seemed right before turning the corner and going to the front. Seems to be working really well so far. Fingers crossed.

Pat
                Last edited by PizzaHacker; 04-20-2015, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Here is my 36" corner build which I referenced the plan recommendation and it is definitely going to be very tight. I initially was going with a perlicrete insulation but come to find out, there will not be enough clearance from the block wall. I will need to go with a FB blanket and dry perlite fill.

Comment

Originally posted by r7212 View Post
                    Here is my 36" corner build which I referenced the plan recommendation and it is definitely going to be very tight. I initially was going with a perlicrete insulation but come to find out, there will not be enough clearance from the block wall. I will need to go with a FB blanket and dry perlite fill.
                    that looks tight at the back alright. What length are the back walls 57'x57'?

I was thinking of going 60'?60' now...

Comment

You can still do an igloo with the perlcrete. Just build it right up to the wall on each side and render over it when dry so that the oven will appear to be coming out if the wall. It's easy and looks pretty cool.
                      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

5'4"(64") which I anticipated would have been sufficient, lucky the landing allowed room to move the oven floor forward. This will be the corner section of my L Shaped outdoor kitchen, overall I'll make it work. I'm no professional just a DYI'r.

Comment

Thanks David ! I'll have to consider that. I plan on covering the face with a steel stud, thin brick Spanish Mission shaped wall. Going with your idea will definitely save $$$ on material.

My only concern would be be insulation efficiency and I already purchased the ceramic blanket. I do like the dome idea...........

Comment

Thanks David ! I'll have to consider that. I plan on covering the face with a steel stud, thin brick Spanish Mission shaped wall. Going with your idea will definitely save $$$ on material.

My only concern would be be insulation efficiency and I already purchased the ceramic blanket. I do like the dome idea...........
                            You can use the blanket and the perlcrete for an Igloo. The same concept as David laid out, (for it appearing to be partially inclosed in the wall) still applies to using both. It will look and perform great! .
                            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I apologize, I forgot to measure the oven base. Mine is about 63"x63" and the sides are 38". The base is about 37" wide at the front. The oven is 36" inside dimension with about 13" for the landing and I used bricks that are 4" wide. I did not have any more room because there is a sliding glass door next to the oven base. The fit was very tight, I had 5" of space between dome and walls for insulation. If you have the room, I would recommend you make the base a bit bigger.

Comment

Working...
                              X