No announcement yet.

Oven designed to be lifted by tractor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven designed to be lifted by tractor?

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum?thanks for the great resource. Like many I'm building a 42" Pompeii, but I'm building a house at the same time. So, I want to build the oven and locate it temporarily on the property, then re-install it in a permanent location in 2-3 years. Anyone done something like this? I searched the forum but didn't see anything specific.

I don't want to build it onto a trailer; just make a base frame embedded in my structural concrete layer that's strong enough to be lifted from 4 points on the sides with my backhoe. I have pallet forks for the bucket, but I think the oven will be too heavy with the center of gravity too far out on the forks to be safe (anyone ever weighed one of these finished ovens?).

Metalworking is not a problem, and I have the lifting capability; just curious if someone has some direct experience on things to do/not do. I'm planning a rebar-reinforced 4" concrete slab with an octagonal perimeter frame made from welded 3" x 1/4" angle steel; I think that will be strong enough. Might weld the rebar into the frame to make it extra rigid.

Many thanks,

Mark

Re: Oven designed to be lifted by tractor?

somewhere in this thread "32" build in north TX" is bill of material to build an oven. Or look in the building guide so from there you can calculate the weight of completed structure.
    I think it's free.Pompeii Oven Instruction eBook V2.0 (pdf) :: eBooks & CD ROMs :: Forno Bravo Store

Comment

Re: Oven designed to be lifted by tractor?

Thanks strobes,

I ended up pouring a larger hearth (5" fiber-reinforced concrete) as well as welding in a bunch of #5 rebar. Just wanted it to be really strong when I finally move it. I did lift the hearth onto a temporary mobile base using a wheeled gantry in my carport; I figure the hearth alone is about 1600lbs. Took a bit of sweat to crank it up there, but it worked fine. The tractor is rated at 6000lbs lift capacity, so assuming I can rig it properly, it should move ok.

I ended up cutting a notch out of my first chain of vertical bricks, as I'd like a mortared connection to the hearth to keep it stable while moving. Probably a bit of heat lost at that thermal bridge, but hopefully it's the right trade-off. The floor will float on the ceramic board.

Comment

Working...
      X