• Show
Clear All

Re: NW Ohio Build - Opinions welcome

2nd row done! And the first row held without forms

Comment

Originally posted by perrysburg View Post
      2nd row done! And the first row held without forms
      Wow, they look great! Good job! How did you make your joint so perfect? you set them dry and than put mortar? I can not get that perfect alignment that you got. Very good job. Keep it up!
      Best Regards...
      Gugahulk!

My Build...

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/w...-fl-21793.html

BUILD IT AND THEY WILL COME
      Food will always be the best way to spend time with family & friends, and that is all that really matters.
      STOP THINKING ABOUT IT AND DO IT!

Comment

Yeah, laid them out dry with shims in place and then measured and cut/grinded center piece, disassembled, mortared end pieces, reset rest in place with shims and then used mortar bag to fill spaces.

Thanks BTW for the compliment. -A
        Last edited by perrysburg; 07-08-2015, 06:17 AM.

Comment

Yeah, laid them out dry with shims in place and then measured and cut/grinded center piece, disassembled, mortared end pieces, reset rest in place with shims and then used mortar bag to fill spaces.

Thanks BTW for the compliment. -A
          My friend, its looking awesome! Keep up the good work can't wait to see how its going to turn out. I just closed my vault yesterday. It is a good feeling you will see...
          Best Regards...
          Gugahulk!

My Build...

Food will always be the best way to spend time with family & friends, and that is all that really matters.

Comment

Transitioning to opening--heigth at 64% (9" / oven at 14"). I cut the brick close to 45 degrees and plan on using the left over cuts on top to seal gaps--see photos.

Comment

Transitioning to opening--heigth at 64% (9" / oven at 14"). I cut the brick close to 45 degrees and plan on using the left over cuts on top to seal gaps--see photos.
              Looking good, mine I did 9" door and 14.5" making a perfect 63% ration. Any plan on buttressing?
              Best Regards...
              Gugahulk!

My Build...

Comment

Def doing some kind of support. I have some ideas but not sure yet. BTW--I checked out your build and was very impressed. Have you started the curing process yet?
                Last edited by perrysburg; 07-14-2015, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Def doing some king of support. I have some ideas but not sure yet. BTW--I checked out your build and was very impressed. Have you started the curing process yet?
                  Thanks, I am def looking forward to see the support you will be making. I had the most trouble with this as it keep me up for days trying to figure out a solution where it would ad ZERO mass to my WFO but having a very strong support. My good friend MrChip from the forum made it happen for me. He came out with the perfect solution which I am working on it now. I will post picture on my build once ready. Its pretty genius idea.

About the Curing process yes, I have. I will be doing the 3rd fire today and its so much fun. I am keeping the oven under 200F so far and I will be raising 100F every 3 days or so. Its alot of fun.
                  Best Regards...
                  Gugahulk!

My Build...

Comment

So I need some advice.....as you can see in the photos I have completed the lower arch for the doorway. Should the next arch (which will support the chimney) actually be half a brick higher or the same height ?

Comment

mixing above

Comment

Final arch!!!

Comment

That looks good, buddy! Good job. I just added some picture of Mr. Chip's idea for my buttressing and it worked out perfect. Check my post to see it. Perfect idea for my scenario.
                          Best Regards...
                          Gugahulk!

My Build...

Comment

I am exited to see the progress.... What is happening my friend?
                            Best Regards...
                            Gugahulk!

My Build...

Comment

Sorry been off the grid for awhile. Here's some of the latest photo's-- covered the barrel with ceramic blanket and framed out the enclosure for cement board and roof. So here's the thing, I know everyone is going to lose their minds when they see all the framing is in wood. Well, I had it framed in wood without a barrier of ceramic blanket (and metal crossbeam) to get me through last summer and the wood never caught on fire so unless the ceramic blanket conducts heat (haha) then I should be safe.

Comment

more photos

Comment

Working...
                                X