Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Extreme Insulation Need Advice

Originally posted by NCMan View Post
    I saw your post the other day and since I have relatives in South Miami/Cutler Ridge that have an outdoor fireplace, I asked them where they get their wood supply. I was told that they get it from the City, (from the "Miami Special Utility Authority")who sells it to people. They also were going to get me a phone number of "a guy or two" that sell it. Will let you know if I get any more info. Best of luck to you.
    WOW you would make my day! Thanks NCMan!
    Best Regards...
    Gugahulk!

My Build...

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/w...-fl-21793.html

BUILD IT AND THEY WILL COME
    Food will always be the best way to spend time with family & friends, and that is all that really matters.
    STOP THINKING ABOUT IT AND DO IT!

Comment

Hello

I believe I saw one of the Australian members mention that he burns palm fronds and tree trimmings.

David

Comment

Originally posted by DavidApp View Post
        Hello

I believe I saw one of the Australian members mention that he burns palm fronds and tree trimmings.

David
        Thanks, I have a coconut tree that must go down, can I burn that in the oven? Will it damage it?
        Best Regards...
        Gugahulk!

My Build...

Food will always be the best way to spend time with family & friends, and that is all that really matters.

Comment

I am not familiar with the burning properties of coconut. I am sure someone in the tropical areas will let you know.

David

Comment

G'day
            Yes Palm fronds will burn, and in a hot oven even the greenish ones will burst into flame. It's the oil content that palms have. As for firing an oven completely on them. You would need to lot of them to heat the mass of an oven. I just rid of the ones I have when I fire the oven.
            If you were to compare 10 kg of hardwood with 10 kg of Palm frond the hardwood would be easy to stow in a wheel barrow where the palm fronds would take a good amount of yard.
            I prefer to burn seasoned hardwood and if it comes in the form of hardwood house frame, it will still burn just as well.
            Regards dave
            Measure twice
            Cut once
            Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
            My Door
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
              G'day
              Yes Palm fronds will burn, and in a hot oven even the greenish ones will burst into flame. It's the oil content that palms have. As for firing an oven completely on them. You would need to lot of them to heat the mass of an oven. I just rid of the ones I have when I fire the oven.
              If you were to compare 10 kg of hardwood with 10 kg of Palm frond the hardwood would be easy to stow in a wheel barrow where the palm fronds would take a good amount of yard.
              I prefer to burn seasoned hardwood and if it comes in the form of hardwood house frame, it will still burn just as well.
              Regards dave
              Thanks, can I burn the 2x4 that I used for my previous build? Some of them are treated for outdoor use and some of them are not I am not sure which one is which. What should I do? Just trow all away to be 100% sure and buy the expensive hard wood?
              Best Regards...
              Gugahulk!

My Build...

Comment

Greetings,
                Could not agree more about overpriced wood here in SoFlo. One way around that problem is to harvest pallets whenever you see them. Rarely are they made of anything but plain hardwood. I don't even remove the nails when I burn them. I simply cut them down with a circular saw or reciprocating saw. Just bear in mind that there are nails where two pieces are joined and cut around those areas. Inspect them for unknown chemical stains and avoid anything you may suspect of being pressure treated (nasty chemicals within). You will likely find pallets around dumpsters and behind some stores. Best of all, they invoke everyone's favorite four letter word - FREE.

Comment

Quick questions, I have seen some ovens in Brazil being wrapped with aluminum foil. Does that do anything to the oven insulation? any one knows?
                  Best Regards...
                  Gugahulk!

My Build...

Comment

Though, I don't think that it is necessary imo: The aluminum foil will eventually be eroded by the high ph of any masonry material that touches it. If none is touching it, or until it does erode, it will trap moisure. If foil is used, some type of vent at the apex of the dome needs to be included.

just sayin'
                    Last edited by Gulf; 05-29-2015, 04:18 PM.
                    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

G'day
                      Secound to what Gulf says. If you want a bit of an experiement place a piece of aluminum foil under a brick on the lawn. Leave it a week. Lift the brick and you'll find after this short time the foils turned black and don't be suprised by a few pin holes when you hold it to the light.
                      As for burning anything that you suspect Is treated DON'T
                      I have never paid for wood. All of mine is foraged and salvaged.The golden rule is any doubt, you don't use it. You can't afford to poison your oven or yourself.
                      Regards dave
                      Measure twice
                      Cut once
                      Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                      My Door
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

I don't know about your area, but if you could find a cabinet shop or furniture shop that uses hardwood, you could probably get their cutoffs. I have a cabinet shop a mile or so from me and I pick up a truckload of cutoffs about 8' long. They range in the 3/4"x3/4"-3/4"x2" range. They work perfect when I cut them down to 1' long or so. Good for starting the fire, and if I didn't have cord wood, I would use them to fire the oven to temp.

Comment

Another suggestion is getting in touch w/as many tree trimmers/land clearers in your area as you can and let them know you may be interested in wood. Depending on supply and demand, in some places, they'll give it to you or you may have to pay a bit for it. Slabwood from sawmills is another source sometimes.
                          My Build:
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

Here is a 2011 article about buying firewood from Miami city government.

City eyes raising price on firewood - News - MiamiOK

Comment

Thanks guys for all your replies, I will look into all of them. I got some great advice from Chip and plan to use at least 4 ceramic blankets maybe 5, and about an inch or 2 of perlite concrete on the dome and walls, and on the floor plan on using 4 inches of insulating board. Any one have more suggestion on how I can do any better? or this is as good as it gets? Will I be wasting money if I go MORE?

Also anyone can recommend me via web link a thermometer to purchase online? I plan on doing long roasts and don't want to open my oven door but I do want to monitor the temperature of my oven accurately. Any help would be great.
                              Best Regards...
                              Gugahulk!

My Build...

**************************************************

Comment

Hello

I have 3 1/2" of blanket over my dome and it only gets warm to the touch when the dome is saturated so I would think that 4" or 5" would be reaching the point of diminishing returns. Lose perlite may be a better and cheaper way to go.

I have not used this type of thermometer in my oven but see no reason it would not work. I got it at a cooking store or Bed Bath and Beyond.

I will try it next time I am cooking and let you know.

David

Comment

Working...
                                X