Two very preliminary design questions from a newb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two very preliminary design questions from a newb

Total newbie. I'm designing my outdoor kitchen which will be a counter with grill, a pizza oven, a covering over the patio. I have a couple questions that are important to my overall design:

1. I'm trying to calculate the stand size. Are the metal studs that I will use 2" thick? If so, does this calc seem right? Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything. Design is a casa2g 90 with a walled enclosure.

Width: 40" (oven) + 6" (ceramic insulation instead of vermiculite to save space) + 4" (metal studs) + 1" (drywall) + 4" (stone veneer) = 55"

Depth: 43.5" (oven) + 3" (ceramic insulation) + 2" (metal stud) + .5" (drywall) + 2" (stone veneer) + 12" (landing) = 63"

Should I add a couple inches as margin for error, just to make sure? Maybe allow for 57" and 65"?

2. I may need to have my vent exit the housing more towards the back. Is that possible? The edge of my patio roof may be near the pizza oven. So I'd like to move the vent back to be away from the roof. I'm guessing that once the vent leaves the casa2g 90 and is in my housing, I can angle it back and have it exit the housing in a more posterior position?

Re: Two very preliminary design questions from a newb

Hello Terdferguson

Welcome to the Forum.

You will get plenty of help and advice here.

Question 2.

The Stainless steel flue pipe that most people use has 30 degree and 45 degree bends available. I used Duravent double walled chimney pipe.
    Several builders have had bends in their chimney to avoid roof lines or other obstructions.

On question 1.
    A little extra room is better than just not enough room. You could always add more insulation if it turns out that you had too much room.

David

Comment

Welcome to the best source of info on building your WFO.

I'm with David, give yourself extra room if at all possible. I planned my corner build and covered/screened with pretty close tolerances. I built the den around the oven with no problems but when I added an inside finishing sheet of plywood, I found that I could no longer get behind or along the sides. Since I couldn't even get my power screwdriver in the gap, I ended up using wedges to hold the plywood against the den support posts.

Again, as David said give yourself a bit more space around the planned requirements...both top slab and foundation to outside wall gaps. I also wish I would've made my entire covered structure bigger, since I've whacked guests in the back of the head with my peel if I've got more than 6 friends waiting around for their pizza.

It's a great project that everyone you know can enjoy!
      Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
      Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
      Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
      Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

The steel studs come in many different sizes and are in the same size as most wood lumber. What gage are you planning to use. I would go no lighter than 20. I went with 18 gage to deal with snow load, but I am guessing that you don't have to worry about that.

As to your stand size for a corner installing also have a 40 inch oven and my stand is 70"x70" and I would not like to be any smaller. Space runs out very qwick when you do the enclosure. It is also nice to have a place to stand when working on the oven. It gets very high when working from the ground. Good luck with your build

Randy

Comment

As you'll probably be using concrete cinder blocks for the base, round up your dimensions so you don't need to cut any big blocks.

Comment

Working...
          X