galvanized bolts is it poison?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• galvanized bolts is it poison?

hi guys, I have a question. Is galvanized bolts and screw poison? I plan to use some on my oven on the outside but most importantly I used them on my Brazilian BBQ and wanted to know if I should be worried in anyway. below is a picture of them being used to hold the steel bars. Should I be worried?
    Best Regards...
    Gugahulk!

My Build...

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/w...-fl-21793.html

BUILD IT AND THEY WILL COME
    Food will always be the best way to spend time with family & friends, and that is all that really matters.
    STOP THINKING ABOUT IT AND DO IT!

Re: galvanized bolts is it poison?

I'm no expert, but have researched the topic a bit in the past. I believe your concern comes from welding galvanized (zinc-plated) steel, which can make you sick from inhalation of zinc oxide fumes. When zinc is raised to a high temperature (at or above its boiling point around 900C), it burns and forms zinc oxide smoke. Pure zinc melts at around ~450C. Like any kind of smoke, zinc oxide will irritate the lungs, leading to difficulty breathing: This is not a dangerous situation and it clears up immediately when you move away from the source of the fumes. People exposed to high concentrations of zinc oxide can also develop a condition known as the "zinc chills", "metal fume fever", "brass-founders ague", or a number of other colorful terms. This involves fever, tremors, and other unpleasant symptoms. This condition is a purely temporary condition that clears up without any known long term effects or complications. It's certainly nothing to laugh about, but the maximum downside to zinc exposure is fever, shakes, and vomiting that go away and then you get better. It's not like lead or sun tanning that can have life-threatening consequences down the road, or like carbon monoxide that can kill you on the spot. Welding galvanized steel generates zinc fumes because welding happens at very, very high temperatures: The zinc plating for an inch or so in every direction from the weld is burned off in billowing white clouds of zinc oxide. Anyone who has learned to weld will have been warned many times to wear a special mask when welding galvanized steel, and that's a good idea. How that reacts in your Brazilian BBQ depends on the temperature you operate at, and how hot your bolts are getting.

Like I said, I'm no authority on it, I just looked it up in the past for a project I was considering. Hope that helps you make a decision.

Comment

Originally posted by okn View Post
      I'm no expert, but have researched the topic a bit in the past. I believe your concern comes from welding galvanized (zinc-plated) steel, which can make you sick from inhalation of zinc oxide fumes. When zinc is raised to a high temperature (at or above its boiling point around 900C), it burns and forms zinc oxide smoke. Pure zinc melts at around ~450C. Like any kind of smoke, zinc oxide will irritate the lungs, leading to difficulty breathing: This is not a dangerous situation and it clears up immediately when you move away from the source of the fumes. People exposed to high concentrations of zinc oxide can also develop a condition known as the "zinc chills", "metal fume fever", "brass-founders ague", or a number of other colorful terms. This involves fever, tremors, and other unpleasant symptoms. This condition is a purely temporary condition that clears up without any known long term effects or complications. It's certainly nothing to laugh about, but the maximum downside to zinc exposure is fever, shakes, and vomiting that go away and then you get better. It's not like lead or sun tanning that can have life-threatening consequences down the road, or like carbon monoxide that can kill you on the spot. Welding galvanized steel generates zinc fumes because welding happens at very, very high temperatures: The zinc plating for an inch or so in every direction from the weld is burned off in billowing white clouds of zinc oxide. Anyone who has learned to weld will have been warned many times to wear a special mask when welding galvanized steel, and that's a good idea. How that reacts in your Brazilian BBQ depends on the temperature you operate at, and how hot your bolts are getting.

Like I said, I'm no authority on it, I just looked it up in the past for a project I was considering. Hope that helps you make a decision.

Thank you so much for this information. Here is some info I gather yesterday after I started a fire. My hotest bolt and that is as hot as I could get was 350F or 175C. I might push it to 450F/232C but it would be impossible to ever, ever get hotter than that as its completely open and the air flow is constant. with this information, do you think I should replace them all or it will never be an issue? It will cost me $$$$ to replace this and I didn't want to do as I am spending alot on the oven. I look forward to your reply and opinion to put me at ease.

If any other members have opinion I would love to hear it.
      Best Regards...
      Gugahulk!

My Build...

Food will always be the best way to spend time with family & friends, and that is all that really matters.

Comment

Originally posted by gugahulk View Post
        My hotest bolt and that is as hot as I could get was 350F or 175C. I might push it to 450F/232C but it would be impossible to ever, ever get hotter than that as its completely open and the air flow is constant. .
        If I were in your shoes, I would not replace them. First: you've said your design does not allow them to get all that hot. Second: Even if you were to generate some amount of zinc oxide fumes, the way your Brazilian BBQ is designed it appears the small amount of fumes would go out through your chimney. Lastly, if you were to generate some amount of zinc oxide fumes by heating the bolts, it would probably be a one time event. Once it's burned off it's gone.

Again, I'm no authority on it. In my opinion, you do not have anything to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by okn View Post
          Again, I'm no authority on it. In my opinion, you do not have anything to worry about.
          Thank you. So basically once it burns off once its gone? This will put me at ease. I have been using it for more than a year.
          Best Regards...
          Gugahulk!

My Build...

Comment

They use galv bolts in bbq pits

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
              They use galv bolts in bbq pits
              Really? Thanks Tscarborough in your opinion I should be ok as show on the pic above?
              Best Regards...
              Gugahulk!

My Build...

Comment

Any fumes that happen to be produced would exit via the hood anyway.

Comment

Any fumes that happen to be produced would exit via the hood anyway.
                  It would not affect the food in any way?
                  Best Regards...
                  Gugahulk!

My Build...

Comment

But in the future, stainless steel will last a lot longer.

Comment

But in the future, stainless steel will last a lot longer.
                      If I knew trust me it would have been that one.
                      Best Regards...
                      Gugahulk!

My Build...

Comment

I don't think it fumes at BBQ temps.

Comment

Just be aware that stainless steel will also rust, no matter whether it be 302 food grade or 316 marine grade. Try and heat a piece up and then allow it to come into contact with moisture, it will rust! When you weld it, you need to "passivate" it with a special passivating paste, made up with 1/3rd hydrofluoric, 1/3rd nitric and 1/3rd sulphuric acids they eat off the oxidised layer. Even polishing it will not prevent it from rusting as I have found out when manufacturing safety quick releases for boats.
                          Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
                          Neill’s kitchen underway
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Originally posted by nissanneill View Post
                            Just be aware that stainless steel will also rust, no matter whether it be 302 food grade or 316 marine grade. Try and heat a piece up and then allow it to come into contact with moisture, it will rust! When you weld it, you need to "passivate" it with a special passivating paste, made up with 1/3rd hydrofluoric, 1/3rd nitric and 1/3rd sulphuric acids they eat off the oxidised layer. Even polishing it will not prevent it from rusting as I have found out when manufacturing safety quick releases for boats.
                            ok,... thanks.
                            Best Regards...
                            Gugahulk!

My Build...

Comment

Working...
                            X