X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DrakeRemoray
    replied
    Re: cooking floor design and dimensions

Hi Ian, Have you already laid your hearth or are you still looking for feedback on this?

Drake

Leave a comment:

• DrDuktayp
    replied
    Re: cooking floor design and dimensions

You probably already have completed your herringbone pattern. If not I have one suggestion for getting the layout. You can snap chalk lines centered and at 90 degrees to one another. I laid this out in my tile program and you have lots of cutting regardless of where you set the pattern start. Luckily firebrick is easy to work with.

I saw a picture of an oven with a granite landing. You can get granite counter tiles that are 3/8 x 12 x 12 for about 12 bucks each. Don't know if it would hold up though.

DrDuktayp

Leave a comment:

• ihughes
    started a topic cooking floor design and dimensions

cooking floor design and dimensions

Weather so bad here that I've looked ahead at what I'm going to do with the cooking floor. I've done a layout (see attached pic) and was looking for some comment.

I'm going with an igloo finish and a 36inch internal oven, probably with a high dome just to make sure my wife can fit her moroccan tagines in.
    • I've centred the 36in internal oven on the hearth. Is that the best option or should I move it back half the width of the landing so the whole structure is centred on the hearth?

• Is one straight course out from the circular dome enough for the landing or should I add another full or half-brick course and push the floor back on the hearth to accommodate for the deeper landing?

• In either case, should the landing extend to the edge of the hearth or is that just a matter of how I want to finish off the oven?

• I was going to use fire brick for the landing, but would it matter if I used clay brick or some other kind of decorative brick as long as it will take the heat?

• I know I'll have to cut brick to shape the circumfrence, is there a better way than I've laid out to minimise cutting (he asks hopefully)? I want to keep the herringbone pattern because of its look

Cheers
    ian
Working...
X