Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just starting out

Hi All,
    Just preparing to build the oven, I am having trouble finding the supplies.
    Does anyone know any suppliers and trade product names for the vermicululite and refractory cement, and clay bricks.
    also what can use for the hearth stone?.
    I am in the uk
    Many thanks Cass

Re: Just starting out

Vermiculite (or perlite) are agricultural products. They are the fluffy stuff in potting soil. You buy it at a garden center. The stuff they sell for insulation is treated with silicone, and doesn't mix with the Portland Cement well.

There are various refractory mortars. I don't know the UK brand names, but the brickyard where you buy your firebricks will recommend something You want a dry mix, not wet stuff in tubs.

You use low duty firebricks for both the floor and the dome of the oven. They are available from any brickyard or building materials supplier. They are said to be expensive in the UK, it may pay to shop around.

Best of luck, maybe someone will chime in with UK specific info.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Thanks for your help
      Couls do with some UK input as well
      Can,t do much at moment as we are having a traditional English summer (whistling down!! with rain)

Comment

Hey Cass,

Let us know what you learn. We are finding that it is good having pockets on knowledge on where to find things and how much they cost. It works in various parts of the states, Australian, NZ, etc.

Also, use the Forum search button to look for postings that contain England and UK. There are some postings from other Brit builders on what they found, where they found it, etc.

Good luck with English summer. BBQ'ing in the rain. :-)
        James
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Working...
        X