aerated autoclaved concrete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aerated autoclaved concrete

Has anyone ever built an oven on aerated autoclaved concrete (ytong,hebel blocks). The R-value is 1.25 an inch.. Also I would like to build a 42" oven but it will be a tight sqeeze. Could I wrap the lower part with Insulfrax until I get clearance and the switch to vermiculite?

Re: aerated autoclaved concrete

We had a discussion about AAC:

Here

I don't think anyone has used it yet, but I think it has a lot of potential. You might not even need vermiculite concrete. Keep us posted about what you do.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Goodmanheat,

Why don't you just wrap the entire oven in 3-4" of Insulfrax, and forgo the vermiculite all together. That will definitely stop the heat, and it is more space efficient.

I made a posting a while ago about solid-state ovens, and I am increasing being drawn to that design. The cost of the high-tech insulation is coming down, and it is lighter, easier to use and takes up less space. Insulfrax above and SuperIsol below.

Also, that is how the Modena ovens are made -- and they are awesome.

Whadya think?

James
      Pizza Ovens
      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Originally posted by james View Post
        Goodmanheat,

Why don't you just wrap the entire oven in 3-4" of Insulfrax, and forgo the vermiculite all together. That will definitely stop the heat, and it is more space efficient.

James
        James,

If just using the Insulfrax do you then put the stucco straight onto the insulation? or do you suggest putting wire over the insulation first before applying stucco? Thanks,

Simon

Comment

I think you still need to give your Igloo shape. You can do that with either stucco (pencil) rebar and lathe, or plain old rebar and lathe. Then you do a rough coat of stucco on that, and then your finish coat.

You don't build up for the vermiculite concrete this way.

We use rebar to build the Toscana Igloos.
          James
          Pizza Ovens
          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Working...
          X