Wood Fired Grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood Fired Grill

I saw a great wood-fired grill in a restaurant the other night, that could be built pretty easily. It consisted of a brick floor and brick walls on the side and back. The back wall contained an iron grate that held the wood fire against the back wall, elevated from the grill floor. As the fire burned, the wood coals fell through to the floor, and were pulled forward as needed.

The cooking surface itself was two free standing steel rod grills. The chefs pulled the wood coals forward and under the grills. Everyone says that wood coals give great flavor. The bricks walls around the grills kept the areas around the grill warm. You could use the design with charcoal as well.

The restaurant's specialty was Bistecca Fiorintine -- a thick grilled steak from a locally raised breed of cattle.

I was thinking of going back with my camera and taking photos. You could build a smaller version which could also work with wood coals from a pizza oven when it was also fired, or with coals from the fire in the back of the grill.

James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

I would like to see that grill design, James

That sounds like something in which I would be very interested. Please see if you can get some pics up ASAP as we are in the process of deciding what our grill will look like.

Thanks, James.

And thanks for the whole forum.

Michael
    aka: PizzaMan

Comment

Great. I was looking for an excuse to go back!

James
      Pizza Ovens
      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

i also am trying to figure out where i can cram a grill into my design, so pictures would be great. thanks!
        -Paul
        overdo it or don't do it at all!

My 2005 pompeii build

Comment

Wood fired grill photos

Here is a series of photos of the restaurant grill. I took them around 4PM, so the evening's fire was not lit yet. Still, the bricks were retaining a lot of heat from the night before. As you can see, the grill shows a lot of wear, but hey, we should all look so good after years of 24/7. :-)

Take a look, and let's see who is first to build one of these.

James

http://fornobravo.com/pizza_oven_pho...ce-grill1.html
          Pizza Ovens
          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

side columns

I love those carved limestone side columns. The capitals are really simple angle cuts. Get out your diamond saws.
            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

i have extra space on my hearth, due to the corner orientation, and was planning to put a grill or barbecue of some sort in. does it seem like a chimney type design like this florence grill would be neccesary outdoors? i was planning to just build a pit with firebrick and fabricate an iron cover, but i could see how having a designated air flow could be better for a grill.
              any thoughts, anyone?
              -Paul
              overdo it or don't do it at all!

My 2005 pompeii build

Comment

Working...
              X