Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailer Question

Hello all,

I plan on building a pompeii oven on a trailer. My question is, I am planning on using some type of ceramic insulation board (like isol) instead of vermiculite so do I need to actually pour a slab under the board? I plan on building framing that will become cabinet storage. As long as I can build it to support the weight of the board and oven, is a slab really necessary? Thanks for all your input in advance!

Tony
    Lexington, SC

Re: Trailer Question

Hi Tony.
    having built numerous types of trailers and a Pompeii oven, I will be the first to throw my pebble into the pond.
    If I was in your situation, I would build a substantial steel framework (because it can easily be welded for maximum strength and rigidity), similar to the flooring joist dimensions for a 2 story house, say with beams 450mm (or less if required) apart and glue/screw a 25mm (1") sheet of compressed cement sheeting to it. This would be strong enough provided adequate reinforcement was under the load bearing areas of the oven perimeter.This is the same as for a wet areas floor in a house. Onto that I would place and secure my Isol board and again glue and secure it well. You certainly don't want it to slide off when going around a corner and losing the lot. I would also look at methods of securing the outer dimensions of the oven to the frame within or behind the insulation layer(s).
    I assume that your Pompeii oven will be constructed from bricks rather than cast panels? If bricks, then, I would also look at putting adequate steel mesh reinforcing and cemented around the dome to prevent the oven from cracking, falling apart because it will be moved, bumped, knocked etc. every time it is moved and let's face it, other people won't treat it with the care and attention that you would. It will need to be extra strong and rugged to withstand the rigors anticipated and alittle more in reserve.
    To achieve this, I would put a stainless steel (it won't be affected by the heat and won't rust), band around the base soldier bricks, (first row), so that it will be impossible for them to move once laid. I would also use the best high temperature refractory mortar available rather than using cement/lime and fireclay mortar. These will be supporting all of the dome bricks and hence all of the weight. This would be very easy to achieve, simply by welding posts onto the frame and cuo though the cement and isol sheets, then covered with your insulation or dome cover (house if using loose insulation).
    Hope this gets you thinking along similar lines, prevention is better than cure, Build it right first time and not have to fix a problem once experienced.

Neill
    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
    Neill’s kitchen underway
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Working...
    X