Extending the landing to one side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extending the landing to one side

I'm planning the foundation size for a 42" oven, and I would like to end up with a small "table" area attached to one side of the oven (and perpendicular to it) for food, drinks, etc. Maybe 20" W x 4' L or so. I'm not sure if I will extend the landing or have the table below the hearth.

But my question is, does anyone see a problem with simply adding blocks to the oven block stand for this table? (i.e., basically extending the front wall of the block stand off to one side by 4'.) So my square foundation would have a little pier off one edge, maybe 52" x 24", tied in with rebar, and then I could place a couple of rows of blocks to support the table. With lots of frost heaving here, I will be using 4' footings for the foundation, so I'll need footing(s) for this pier as well. Would 1 be enough? Or should I not have this table structurally connected to the oven at all? I'm new to masonry, as you can tell!

My idea is similar to this, but the face of the block stand would extend out onto the pier on the left:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/phot...ndex.php?n=400

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    DBH
    Picasa web album
    Oven-building thread

Re: Extending the landing to one side

An extension to the side is very useful. If it has a stone top it can be your pizza building area. Just to be clear - this is off to the side: You don't want to be reaching over your work area to get to the oven.

Is it overbuilding? Well, yes. A freestanding worktable would do just as well. Another hazard is that as soon as you start thinking on these lines, your project can grow into a full scale outdoor kitchen, sucking up unlimited amounts of time and money.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Working...
    X