filling the blocks on top the angle iron of the stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• filling the blocks on top the angle iron of the stand

Maybe I'm missing something in the plans. I've built the stand and placed my blocks over the angle iron on the front of the stand. How will I fill these blocks on the angle iron with concrete or keep the concrete from the hearth from falling through the holes in the block? Do I place masonry board over or under them? Thanks, K

Re: filling the blocks on top the angle iron of the stand

I used a scrap or 1x6 cut just a bit shorter than the opening, then propped it up with a couple of 2x4 scraps - on the underside. Then filled them when I poured the other block cores. After it set, I just knocked out the props and the 1x6 fell to the ground - leaving a relatively smooth underside to the opening.

RT

Comment

Thanks. I looked at other people's pictures and saw one that had something propped up under there like you described. That's what I'll do. K

Comment

I just finished pouring the hearth yesterday and I used the empty cement bags to fill in these areas. Worked a treat and reduced the amount of cleaning up as well.
        You can't see the bags but you can always pull them out afterwards if the thought of them bugs you.

Ian

Comment

Working...
        X