Passing through a wall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passing through a wall

I would really like to have access to my oven from inside my home. So, after looking around the internet and seeing how they locate commercial ovens behind a wall, I started thinking maybe I could build the oven in my garage and rebuild the wall with metal studs and concrete board so that the opening to the oven is in my family room. My family room was originally designed to be a garage so there is a header already in place at 7 feet and it wouldn't take much to pull out the partition that would have been a garage door and then rebuilt it around the front of the oven.

Anyone done anything like this already? Or have ideas?

We have too much bad weather to enjoy the oven if it is outdoors. We have 165 inches a year of rainfall plus wind and occasional snow.

Thanks,
    DrDuktayp
    SE Alaska

Re: Passing through a wall

If I'm not mistaken most city/county's treat it like a fireplace/masonry heater install so no biggie there. Definite permit situation though, which is gonna add $$. If your asking is it posiable..definatly Dumn did a similar install in his shop I believe.

His profile: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/104-dmun/

Id get with him on the particulars which are probably going to be the same.
    http://www.palmisanoconcrete.com

Comment

I built my oven half inside, half outside, with a fireplace facing in, and the oven facing out. I'm now wrestling with the process of building a two flue chimney up from two quite different places at the bottom.

There's really no problem doing this, but any inside fireplace has to be more concerned with clearance to combustibles, and code-legal venting. You don't want to burn your house down.

A good place to learn about fireplace building code is rumford.com
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

thanks,

I'll look into it some more.

DrDuktayp

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post

A good place to learn about fireplace building code is rumford.com
          Um, where? I can't find anything about code per se.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
          [/CENTER]

Comment

Go to Rumford.com. Click on 'table of contents and search the website'.

Type in codes and standards

click on the Codes and Standards link.......this will brink up more IBC reference and regulation links than I was willing to attach to this post. there are alot.

OR you could go directly to the IBC site, I'm sure there is more than enough information there to make your head spin and eyes bug out

Comment

Welcome to the International Code Council (ICC): Your source for building safety products and services and the International Codes

This link may be worth a look

Comment

Thanks!
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                [/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                X