Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thermocouples - Are you still using them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermocouples - Are you still using them?

Hello,

I've read about everything I can find that has been posted about thermocouples. Although I'm a geek and the idea of 4 or 5 probes sounds cool, I can't decided if I want to put in the extra time and expense to include them.

For those of you that have had your thermocouples installed for a while:

After you play with your oven for a few months does the usefulness of the thermocouples decrease? Are they something you use all the time or does the novelty wear off after you learn your oven?

Thanks,
    Ken
    Ken H. - Kentucky
    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Re: Thermocouples - Are you still using them?

Mot sure about the other users but Canuck Jim uses his whenever he cooks. Then again he is doing Artisan Breads for paying customers and he can't eat his mistakes. being a virtual builder, at the moment, I was going to dump in some thermocouples because it satisfies the engineer in me. However I think that after 6 months I would probably not use it. I think a laser thermometer may be $$ better spent http://www.fornobravo.com/store/Infr...r-p-16155.html

Comment

Originally posted by jengineer View Post
      I think a laser thermometer may be $$ better spent http://www.fornobravo.com/store/Infr...r-p-16155.html
      Thanks for the comments. I don't think a pizza or pot roast is going to mind a variation of a few degrees. I'm starting to lean in the direction of the Infrared Thermometer. It's nice that Forno Bravo has them for sale.

Time to head back out and start filling some block stand cores!
      Ken
      Ken H. - Kentucky
      42" Pompeii

Comment

Ken

I have three. I put them in mainly for the engineer geek in me as well. But, I would have to say if you don't really want to spend the money then don't. You get alot of good clues just from the color of the dome and feel of the heat on your hand/arm.

One suggestion however. If you are going to buy an IR gun, then make sure you get one with adjustable emmissivity. I got mine from Omega for $80.00 . That way you can also use it in the attic to check for leaks, around windows, on the car, airplane engines, ect.
        Wade Lively

Comment

Originally posted by wlively View Post
          Ken
          One suggestion however. If you are going to buy an IR gun, then make sure you get one with adjustable emmissivity. I got mine from Omega for $80.00 . That way you can also use it in the attic to check for leaks, around windows, on the car, airplane engines, ect.
          Airplane engines... Hmmm... I'm convinced! I can't wait to take it work!

Ken
          Ken H. - Kentucky
          42" Pompeii

Comment

Originally posted by Ken524 View Post
            Airplane engines... Hmmm... I'm convinced! I can't wait to take it work!

Ken
            Ken

I assumed you work for UPS, I guess I am right. I used to be a line mechanic at Delta, until the big lay-off in 94. The only airplane I work on now is the one that I am building, RV-8.
            Wade Lively

Comment

JE and all,

I installed four thermocouples during my build. For me, in the kind of baking I do, they are invaluable, because the baking characteristics of my oven vary considerably depending on the amount of heat stored in the mass. Yesterday, I baked Ancienne baguette in 4 minutes flat. It wasn't so much that the hearth was at 678 but that the slab read 450 and the cladding 520. That kind of stored heat sped everything up. Thermocouples are not necessary for everyone, but IR readings can be deceptive in certain situations, depending on the mass of the oven. I've baked bread with similar hearth readings but lower mass readings, and it takes quite a bit longer. It's true that you do get a feel for your oven over time, but thermos take out the guesswork.

Jim
              "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Working...
              X