Fire Brick Los Angeles Orange County

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire Brick Los Angeles Orange County

So I got this great deal on bricks for the landscaping. Only problem is that they are in San Clemente & I am in Gardena (60 plus miles). Been trying to find shippers to get them here. Not a great deal after all. There are 7 pallets ~3400 bricks. close to 30000 pound. I will have some left over and I will let local members have first crack at them in about a year - chit chat will be the location.

Full size fire brick can be found for 90 cents (US) a piece at:
    Resource Building Materials
    1536 W. Rosecrans Ave
    Gardena, CA 90249

They have multiple locations throughout LA/Orange County
    Stanton
    Huntington Beach
    Downey Location
    City of Industry
    Gardena
    Chino

Resource Bldg Matl

Re: Fire Brick Los Angeles Orange County

RENTAL OF A 1 TON FLAT BED = UNDER 100.00
    FORKLIFT UNDER 100.00
    Driving down the road with a load of bricks...priceless (get the insurance on the rental to ensure its priceless)

YOU CAN HAUL 4 PALLETS AT A TIME 2, TRIPS. Does the seller have a forklift at his end?

This is probably what you are going to have to end up doing. A standard van trailer (on a semi) is not set up to hold that kind of weight per pallet. So you would have to find a flat bed and if they don't have a fork lift on the truck will have to arrange for one. You could call up one of the smaller masonry yards and ask them what the will charge you to pick them up and deliver them. They have the truck and the attached forklift its worth a shot.

Or you could call the other yards and find out when they get their deliveries and empty truck going back to base (dead heading) is not making money depending on their policy (brick carrier truck) they may say yea sure its on our way well take a couple of hundred. If its an independent you can maybe get it for less.
    What you want to find is a materials yard in a location that has the delivery truck going back to the plant past your bricks heading toward you. This is a very common practice with truckers nobody wants to go back empty epically independents.

Try this site its free to list your load
    Truck Loads for Owner Operators Truck Drivers Freight Brokers
    http://www.palmisanoconcrete.com

Comment

Resource is doing it for $75/hr about $450 - gotta love LA traffic
      Doing it myself would require a forklift at both ends.
      Tried UShip and got quotes ranging from 945 to 1300

thanks for the heads up of Rightnowloads

Comment

Originally posted by jengineer View Post

Full size fire brick can be found for 90 cents (US) a piece at:
        Resource Building Materials
        1536 W. Rosecrans Ave
        Gardena, CA 90249

Resource Bldg Matl
        I called a few of the Resource Building Materials locations and when I mentioned "low duty" firebrick, no one seemed to know what I was talking about. They said their firebrick was made by Pacific Clay, so I called them and even they didn't know the alumina and silica levels...

I'm just really worried about not getting exactly what I need!

Comment

Great price on the fire bricks. I live in north SD so HB isn't too bad a drive for that price. Have you confirmed that they are true firebricks.

Thanks

Comment

When did you get the quote for .90. I called the Stanton branch today and got quoted 1.04 contractor price.

Comment

The .90 price was from jengineer.....15 months ago

Comment

I guess it pays to check the date. My bad!

Comment

Personally I like skoolpsyk for his/her post. It says they joined in December 2005 and here we are almost 3 years later and this was their first post. Talk about lurking!! There is hope for me yet. Those bricks are still in a big pile as I need a cheap (less than $2k) solution to remove almost 20 cu yards of dirt and grass from the backyard. Landscraper 15 years ago brought in a bunch of soil (not needed) and now I have a yard that slopes toward the house. At the back property line it is 12 inches too high. Oy.

$1.04 is still a good price. You may have to call Pacific Clay a few times to hit upon the correct engineer. Try asking for the material spec sheet. Another tact is to tell them you are building a fireplace and need appropriate fire brick then ask for the sizes that they have and ask for the weights. You can then back-solve and figure if you are in the right mass/density for the brick.

Finally I live near LAX and have a Harbour Freight wet saw you can borrow - buy a new blade and return it when you are done...
                  Last edited by jengineer; 11-04-2008, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Those bricks are still in a big pile as I need a cheap (less than $2k) solution to remove almost 20 cu yards of dirt and grass from the backyard.
                    I never realised! I thought you had built your oven ages ago...
                    "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Personally I like skoolpsyk for his/her post. It says they joined in December 2005 and here we are almost 3 years later and this was their first post. Talk about lurking!! .
                      Hey, jengineer, I JOINED in 2005, I had been lurking way before that! lol!

This outdoor kitchen project has been growing to monster proportions and has been delayed soooo many times. But just this week we finally poured 10 yards of mud and plan on pouring another 5 yards tomorrow! So it's finally happening!

Thanks so much for the offer for the saw, but I actually live a few hours from there. I'm up in the Antelope Valley (Palmdale area).

I guess I'll keep trying to get a data sheet on these unless someone comes up with a rock solid source on 30% alumina/50% silica bricks within a fairly reasonable driving distance!

Comment

Well, I took a gamble and bought 200 bricks from a local yard in Palmdale (American Builders supply). I got a data sheet but it didn't really say much. But it seems like these are the right thing, as they are yellow, weight 8lbs, and cost 95 cents each. HC Muddox is the manufacturer....

Comment

I called Balboa Brick and Supply in the Van Nuys-Northridge area of Los Angeles and they have Pacific Clay firebrick for $1.05. They don't know if it's low-duty, "just firebrick". It's 5 minutes from my house so I'll get those but I'll bring my digital scale to make sure they are around 8lbs and not the heavier kind.
                          -Dino
                          "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
                          http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
                          http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Dino,
                            Would you mind posting after you determine if you found the right bricks. I'm still looking for a place to buy mine.

Thanks, Mark

Comment

Mark, I'm anxious to cut SOMETHING with my new Harbor Freight Wet Saw so I'll pick up a couple of those bricks today, measure and weight them and let you know.

-Dino
                              "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
                              http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
                              http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Working...
                              X