Just starting first oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just starting first oven

This is a first at everything, except the foundation. Poured the slab last week, hopefully finish the dry stacking tonight(friday). hopefully be ready to form the hearth on Sunday. I will be sending pictures soon. Hope to have pizza by Xmas. Ha Ha

Re: Just starting first oven

Excellent - the dry stacking and filling the cores is pretty quick, especially if you have help with mixing or, better, a mixer. Maybe you can roast a turkey for Christmas as well

Comment

Excellent! Have fun! Don't stress yourself out on the Christmas date. It is doable, but don't kill yourself!
      My Oven Thread:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

I will have it done soon. A friend put an oven up last year and he is coming to help on Wed. I am looking to start the oven in maybe two to three weeks. One question what did you guys use to cut the block where the angle iron is over the opening. I just bought cement blades for my hand saw and my big radial arm saw.

Comment

Those cement cutting blades throw a lot of dust. Don't foul the bearings of your good radial arm saw cutting brick. You can do most of what you need with a cheap 4 1/2 inch import angle grinder with a diamond blade. They are cheap enough to throw out. You can even use it to score and break your firebrick if you don't want to spring for a wet saw. Wear a dust mask for any of this.
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Also, try soaking the block prior to cutting, it will reduce the dust kicked up.

Comment

Thanks guys for the tips I will purchase a cheap grinder and soak the bricks. I finished the block and poured the cores today. Sunday I will hopefully finish forming the floor.

Comment

Working...
              X