Wood Storage Door vs. Critters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wood Storage Door vs. Critters

I have to chime in and side with Wade. We are faced with similar critter problems in central FL - 3 venomous snakes, 2 venomous spiders, raccoons, armadillos, lizards - you get the idea. Personally, I have no desire to have anything hibernate or nest in my wood. We have plenty of mice and fruit rats too....wishing now I had not decided to chime in, never really stopped to think about all the different critters that might be in there. I hate snakes, rodents and spiders. Certainly glad now that I decided to put doors on.
    Although a very simple design , my doors have (so far) proven to keep out everything but ants.
    Wish I had thought of the roll out cart/tray.....it is really a pain (literally) pulling wood from the back. Looks like that will be the 1st 'improvement' project for my oven.

RT

Comment

Here are a couple of pics from the doors/cabinet I slid into the "wood storage" area. Very functional, looks great, very proud of the design etc, but one issue I did not foresee:

When I am finished cooking the doors and cabinet are warm, maybe 100degrees, not bad. Problem is during the night, the heat from the oven slowly heats the pedestal and the cabinet, to the point I'm nervous about it burning (measured 140 degrees in the morning last time).

Anyway, we are going to chop off two inches and slide more insulation between pedestal and cabinet to see if it helps.

Doors do help keep the wood dry and scary things out, but a dog helps as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Richie View Post
        Here are a couple of pics from the doors/cabinet I slid into the "wood storage" area. Very functional, looks great, very proud of the design etc, but one issue I did not foresee:
        That's a really cool use of the space!

Ken
        Ken H. - Kentucky
        42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
        Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Again, why didn't I think of something creative like that...I've run out of steam when it comes to projects (I just want to make pizza), but would REALLY like to add Wade's or Richie's ideas. Maybe by the time I get around to it I will have my own creative moment.

Comment

Go for the rail on you're cart - anything falling off is something you have to crawl in and get!

I'm actually planning on both front and back doors to mine so I have access to wood on both sides rather than crawling in and out. We have two poisonous snakes (that would actually come in - three if you count cotton mouths), all manner of bees and wasps (wasps will nest anywhere although they prefer height. Dirt daubers I don't care about since they don't sting) plus hornets. Haven't seen scorpions here although we had them when we lived on Lake Martin. Black widows and recluses just for added interest plus the usual cadre of racoons, possums, skunks, and armadillos. The dog can handle the bigger critters and I have a couple good mousers should that be necessary.

I will be using work gloves to get the wood out but I plan on making pretty tight doors to being with (say it with me - silicon between the jamb and stand!). I'm more worried about what comes in with the wood than what gets in after - unless I do a bad job on the doors. Back to cabinet making class!
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
            [/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
            X