anchor plate to vent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anchor plate to vent

Trying to plan out the vent and what not and I am a little confused. The attachments here with post is from page 40 of the forno manual and the anchor plate I have. I cant see this as the opening I would be using for the 6" dura tech anchor plate shown in page 40 of manual. I would think I should brick in about a 7" square on the top of the arch shown in picture one. And then mortor in the space from curved area of arch to the bottom of flat area of the anchor plate. Hope what I have in mind here makes sense. Help I am confused and if I need to do a 7" opening this will make my whole layout. Thanks in advance Wayne
    see below for my oven album of progress to date

http://picasaweb.google.com/wayneber...PizzaOvenWorld

Re: anchor plate to vent

Yes, you can brick in more of a square for the plate. If you did this, I would "flatten out" the curve with some brick wedges rather than going with big glops of mortar. Alternatively, you can create a transition out of brick from the rectangular curved opening to a flate square opening, and then put the plate on top of that. This is what Balty did (and a beautiful job of it) - see his photos under the Vent section in the Photo albums.
    "You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six."

-- Yogi Berra

Forno Tito

Comment

What about the actual hole size cut into the bricks? I was thinking of a 7" square or round hole instead of the 4"x12" or what ever the rectangle is in the attachment. I want to make sure I have the right size opening for my 36" internal floor size. Tuscan style....thanks
      see below for my oven album of progress to date

http://picasaweb.google.com/wayneber...PizzaOvenWorld

Comment

Yeah, I think a 7" square hole would work. You could do that by trimming 3.5" from each end of the middle bricks of two arches. With 2" width bricks, the middle 3 should do the trick (6" + space for mortar).

My one caution would be that this would provide little "throat" for updraft. The smoke comes out of the entire width of the oven door. If the vent opening is that narrow, I'm not sure if the draw will be OK. Perhaps someone with more experience (Uno? Canuck?) can weigh in here.
        "You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six."

-- Yogi Berra

Forno Tito

Comment

For best draw you want to smoothly transition from the rectangle to your square. Alternately you can form up and pour a vent transiton, this is what I did.
          Wade Lively

Comment

Working...
          X