Low vs. Medium Duty Firebrick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low vs. Medium Duty Firebrick

I'm using medium duty firebricks for my construction.

I am curious how an oven built with low duty bricks will perform compared to one made with medium duty bricks. Will the medium duty take longer to heat up? Will it get hotter with a given amount of fuel? Retain heat longer? Will the pizza taste better due to the higher cost of the brick ?

Thoughts? Theories?
    Thanks!
    Ken H. - Kentucky
    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Re: Low vs. Medium Duty Firebrick

Medium duty firebrick is engineered to withstand higher temperatures, and perhaps more thermal cycling. It might make your oven last longer, but I don't think it will have any detectable difference in performance at oven temps. When you get into the high duty bricks, I think they are harder to cut, but memebers have used medium duty bricks without problems.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Hi Dmun,
      I think it a high duty brick (it was a hell of a lot heavier than all the others) and cutting it with a wet 14" diamond commercial brick saw was like cutting through a solid block of steel. The brick was a very dark almostcharcoal in colour. Didn't use it or them (got a half dozen in the batch of 200 bricks that I bought), but might come in handy for later constructions.

Neill
      Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
      Neill’s kitchen underway
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

I've noticed that my medium duties cut about the same as standard house bricks (which is pretty easy with the HF saw and diamond blade).

Thanks for the responses guys!
        Ken H. - Kentucky
        42" Pompeii

Comment

How do you tell the difference between a low duty, medium and high duty brick? I am going to look at some but the sellers don't know what type they are, only that they were used for a short while in a kiln.
          Thanks, Paul.

Comment

Good question Paul....when you have a pile of firebrick it can be hard to tell them apart.

Some have brand names on them so you might be able to research. Also the type of use is an indication. I picked up a lot of used brick from a ceramics/pottery school so I think I have a medium duty brick mixture....but how to know for sure??
            Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
              Medium duty firebrick is engineered to withstand higher temperatures, and perhaps more thermal cycling. It might make your oven last longer, but I don't think it will have any detectable difference in performance at oven temps. When you get into the high duty bricks, I think they are harder to cut, but memebers have used medium duty bricks without problems.
              David, I thought I caught a discussion here? about the higher duty firebricks getting hotter??? maybe just because of higher density??

Any comments?

And Ken, will the pizza taste better because the bricks were free? (are you cooking now by the way?)

Comment

Originally posted by SpringJim View Post
                And Ken, will the pizza taste better because the bricks were free? (are you cooking now by the way?)
                Free bricks definitely make cheaper pizza, I don't know about taste, though .

Yep, we've been cooking for a few months now. The Pompeii has far exceeded the expectations of everyone in my family, extended family, inlaws, freinds and myself!
                Ken H. - Kentucky
                42" Pompeii

Comment

The folks at my local brick yard can get "regular firebrick". They have no idea if it is low duty or medium duty. I seem to be facing this everywhere I call. You should see the response when I ask them to get me HeatStop 50 (rather than the premixed heatstop in tubs).

Frustrating
                  Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                  My oven build thread

Comment

I had the same problem when I bought my firebrick. I had to call the manufacturer to find out what type of firebrick they sell to the particular brick yard I was at.
                    "Pizza, the world's most perfect food."

Comment

Originally posted by mfiore View Post
                      The folks at my local brick yard can get "regular firebrick". They have no idea if it is low duty or medium duty. I seem to be facing this everywhere I call. You should see the response when I ask them to get me HeatStop 50 (rather than the premixed heatstop in tubs).

Frustrating
                      I think the different duty firebricks weigh different- the ones we're supposed to use in the oven plans (low-duty, I think) should weigh about 8 pounds each. A little more or less is ok, they do vary a little in size. Mine aren't quite the same width as the ones in the plans, so they're a tad lighter. Not sure how much more the high and med. duty ones weigh.

If you have a local concrete or brick supplier, they really should have the heatstop in bags. If they don't, they ought to be able to get it, although it's expensive.....
                      Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Originally posted by egalecki View Post
                        they really should have the heatstop in bags. If they don't, they ought to be able to get it, .....
                        One would think. Unfortunately, the local brickyard has been very unhelpful. They have not even heard of the HeatStop 50 (powder type, in a bag). Several phone calls, and they won't even try to get it for me. It seems residential customers are not worth their time. Detroit is 90 miles south, I may have to make a trip this week.
                        Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                        My oven build thread

Comment

Mike, just noted that GR firebrick has an office in Detroit....

might be another source?? 24 Hour Refractory Installation

We Carry a Complete Line of Refr

XJ

Comment

Working...
                          X