do you slope foundation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do you slope foundation?

We are getting ready to pour our foundation of 60" x 70". Do I need to slope it slightly toward the front so that water won't stay in the wood holder? Then do I mortor the bottom layer of concrete squares to level them? I have read so much my eyes are blurry.
    Last edited by krosskraft; 10-01-2007, 08:01 AM. Reason: put question mark at the end

Re: do you slope foundation?

I made my bottom slab pretty near level. The ground around it slopes away slightly because of the sloping of the patio. In front of the slab I put in a French Drain to take any water away from the front of the oven. I had visions of standing in ankle deep water and trying to make pizzas. My slab is 2'-3" higher than the flag stone patio that it extends slightly into.

Hope this helps,
    Mike
    "The road of excess leads to the Palace of Wisdom."

Comment

Do I need to slope it slightly toward the front so that water won't stay in the wood holder?
      > Other than washing it out how is water going to get in here? If you are meeting an existing slab that is already draining toward the oven base you can always just put weep holes in the first course on the back of the oven that will let any water that gets in go out. You can do this by either notching out small sections of the block bottoms or creating gaps in the mortar bed of the first course. After making your foundation and slab hose it down and watch where the water goes..this is where the holes should go. Not to be a smart A$$ but if you are doing the concrete work yourself most likely the slab is not going to be completely flat and will hold some water in the field anyway. Please don't take offense to this comment please, its is a learned skill to make a slab truly flat. By flat I do not mean level, your forms can be set level and you can screed it nicely but when its finish troweled is where the hard part comes in.

Next time it rains in your area check peoples driveways and walkways, water in the field is a sure sign of improper finishing and or forming. I see this all the time even on flat work that has a considerable slope.

Then do I mortor the bottom layer of concrete squares to level them?
      >Yes if you were to slope it you would need to mortar the blocks for the first course.
      http://www.palmisanoconcrete.com

Comment

Thanks for the info. I guess the "perfectionist" in me thinks that I could actually make it level, even though I have never done this before. I like the weep hole comment, I had forgotten about them.

Comment

Working...
        X