perlite content

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• perlite content

Cant remember what it was that we dont want in the perlite. Some grades come with something added and I cant remember what that was. Was it silicone? My product is called ZONELITE PERLITE it is sold by Grace Perlite and has the INDUSTRIAL grading on it. Does this sound ok to use. I had Vermiculite for the hearth and all went well but now I have perlite for the Dome cover later on....thanks wayne
    see below for my oven album of progress to date

http://picasaweb.google.com/wayneber...PizzaOvenWorld

Re: perlite content

zonolite is vermiculite that has been treated so as not to absorb water...designed for insulation concrete block walls...insulating properties still ok but will not work to make the insulating lightweight concrete because it will not mix with the water and cement..
    Can't wait for the next one!

Comment

Thanks for the help. Guess I will return it to the lumber yard. It amazes me how sales people that work in this brick and mortor industry have no clue as to what we really need to get our project succesfully done. Do you know if this product will be ok in the garden....if so it will save me trip back to the store for now and will pick up some vermiculite later on for the dome outer insulation...thanks again Wayne

Comment

Wayne, if your building an enclosure over your dome the Zonolite should be OK as loose fill insulation. The treated stuff (I believe you are correct - silicone) doesn't bond with portland cement (so I have read).
        The silicone acts as a lubricant, allowing it to slide into voids more easily and repels adhesion.

RT

Comment

Thanks rt, but no I am not doing an enclosure. Sounds like I got the wrong stuff. Glad you folks are able to set me straight. This purchase was on back order for some time so I ended up buying the vermiculite for the hearth while I was waiting for it to arrive. Good thing I got the right stuff for the hearth. If I understand things right I might be better for people to just stick with the vermiculite as I think all vermiculite brands are the same unless you know what you are doing and able to read between the lines on the perlite differences. I specificly told the sales guy what I was doing also and had it shipped here on a ferry and the whole deal. A bit of a pain. The problem for me here in Canada is the shipping cost from the states for all of these bulky or heavy products so then trying to get something similar like high heat mortor etc here in Canada and sales guys are not knowing there stuff or dont care eneough.....wayne

Comment

Wayne
            Not just in Canada. When I built my oven down here guys at the brickyards looked at me like I had a third eye when I asked about high heat mortars and differences in vermiculite. Shipping isn't so bad for me though...tariffs get you too I am sure!
            Dutch
            "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
            "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Working...
            X