X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sayre
    replied
    Re: Insulation Efficiency

could anyone explain how to attach the insulating blanket to to the dome and how the outer dome wolud be attached to that ? I was thinking of using used red brick for the exterior.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• gdest
    replied

When you say you can get a "ton" straight from the mine, I take it that you mean that this is the raw material. This will do you no good. The material silcate material that is mined has to be processed before it becomes vermiculite or perlite. The processing is to heat it up to a high temp so that the moisture inside expands or pops the silcate, then it becomes a material that you can use as insulation.

Gary

Leave a comment:

• sclancy
    replied

agreed. I thought higher temps were better..I didnt realize that they were measuring exterior temps and thus heat loss.

The good news is that I can easily make up it up 2:1 vermiculite vs blanket as my enclosure will have plenty of room and ill have plenty of vermic with a 60cuft minimum buy....

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Originally posted by sclancy View Post
    Al,

I didnt read all 16 pgs of this thread, but the original post in 2005 indicated to me that 1" of vermiculite is superior to 1" of insulfrax blanket (see below)....or am I reading this wrong?
    Yes, I think you are reading it wrong. The blanket is about twice as good as the vermiculite so if you use it (vermiculite) you will need double the thickness to achieve the same insulating value.

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

indicated to me that 1" of vermiculite is superior to 1" of insulfrax blanket
    I believe that is wrong, blanket is far superior..

Leave a comment:

• sclancy
    replied

Al,

I didnt read all 16 pgs of this thread, but the original post in 2005 indicated to me that 1" of vermiculite is superior to 1" of insulfrax blanket (see below)....or am I reading this wrong?

I will have a "ton" of vermiculite at a very good price (they actually mine it nearby in VA and I am buying it "mine-direct") and could easily do 2" for every 1" of blanket that I am giving up as my oven will be quite a bit smaller than my full size size pompeii stand - the enclosure should leave me nearly 6-8" on the sides and as much height on top as I need to get another 8-10' on top of the dome.

1" Insulfrax Blanket 6#, 4" Vermiculite 1000F** 172F

2" Insulfrax Blanket 6#, 3" Vermiculite 1000F** 161F

3" Insulfrax Blanket 6#, 2" Vermiculite 1000F** 151F

4" Insulfrax Blanket 6#, 1" Vermiculite 1000F** 142F

5" Insulfrax Blanket 6# ******* 1000F** 135F

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
    Id still be putting a 2" layer of blanket over the top and 1" around the outside.
    Its what I did with mine then bout 1" of loose vermiculite over the top and about 6" down the side.

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Id still be putting a 2" layer of blanket over the top and 1" around the outside.
    Its what I did with mine then about 1' of loose vermiculite over the top and about 6" down the side.
    Last edited by brickie in oz; 03-03-2013, 11:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• sclancy
    replied

I can get 60 cu ft locally for $140....way more than I need but the price is right so i m thinking maybe just 1" of blanket plus 8-10" vermic all around inside the enclosure.....

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Any thoughts on the size of the vermiculite particles I am looking to use? (It will be mixed with portland and poured for the hearth (plus innsblock on top) and used as loose fill on top of 1-2" of ceramic blancket inside the structure.
    It appears to be coarse or at least medium grade. It will work just fine. More importantly, than the grade, is it the best price in bulk vermiculite for your area? I'm sure that you have read on the forum that independant plant nurseries are a good place to start. The chain stores in my area like Walmart, Home Depot, and Lowes are definately not he place to buy vermiculite. Though, I have heard of some regions that offer an attic insulation vermiculite that may be available for a good price for the oven. It is just not available in my neck of the woods .

Leave a comment:

• sclancy
    replied

Any thoughts on the size of the vermiculite particles I am looking to use? (It will be mixed with portland and poured for the hearth (plus innsblock on top) and used as loose fill on top of 1-2" of ceramic blancket inside the structure.

Leave a comment:

• shanem
    replied

I would like to chime in. My oven has 2" of vermiculite/cement and then I filled the rest of the cavity with Roxul loosefill. I used the full bag and thickness varies 2-5".
    I had a pork should in the oven and we got 20cm of snow over night. The next day I went out to dig out the pork and the snow had not even melted on the roof. It was still 225F inside the oven after 17 hrs and a snowstorm.

Leave a comment:

• dimitrisbizakis
    replied

Thank you all for your help!

Leave a comment:

• Spunkoid
    replied

You will be fine with that, as I posted earlier, forno bravo is now only supplying FB blanket for insulation with thier kits. It is an industrial grade product.

Leave a comment:

• dimitrisbizakis
    replied

Originally posted by Laurentius View Post
    If you use a double blanket of ceramic fiber, you would need less perlite to fill the housing, don't you think.
    I won't fill the housing at all, just a total of 5'' of ceramic blanket, it this ok?

Leave a comment:

• Laurentius
    replied

If you use a double blanket of ceramic fiber, you would need less perlite to fill the housing, don't you think.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X