Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hinge pins? for door to Hearth Stand wood storage.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hinge pins? for door to Hearth Stand wood storage.

(M) Hi, all, and particularly Paul who made advance preparations by installing some hardware into the concrete blocks of the opening for his wood storage.

(M) I would like to also make that preparatory step as I'd like to include a door to help keep the wood storage area dry. My storage opening is not like Paul's (set in a corner) but a conventional orientation opening as most have. So, ... if I decide to round the top corners of the concrete blocks on the inside (just for looks) will that significantly complicate the installation of a door that opens out? ____

(M) I assume that Paul drilled into the concrete and then used something like lead anchors to secure what seem to be gate type pin hinges? ____ but I haven't seen a door yet and assume he is still working on one.

(M) If anyone has a door below, or if you are planning to include a door, please give me-us the benefit of your experience.

(M) Thanks,

Marcel
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, ...
    but no simpler!" (Albert Einstein)

Originally posted by Marcel

(M) I assume that Paul drilled into the concrete and then used something like lead anchors to secure what seem to be gate type pin hinges? ____ but I haven't seen a door yet and assume he is still working on one.
    I believe Paul ran bolts through holes in the block, from the inside, and secured them with nuts and washers on the outside. This would be better and stronger than a lead expansion anchor. I would do this to secure a wooden sill to the block, and then use conventional door hinges for the wood storage area door(s) than use gate hinges.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

that's exactly what i did, but i anchored the hex head of the bolt in the concrete core. one didn't work, so i'll use a stainless concrete anchor. this type is by far the best, IMO. you pound it in, and it has actual threads, as opposed to the lead type which just expand as the bolt's threads catch on the lead. i will attach a 2 x 6 and build the door off of that, just as you guessed.
      -Paul
      overdo it or don't do it at all!

My 2005 pompeii build

Comment

Working...
      X