Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vermiculite Insulation? Where do you buy it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vermiculite Insulation? Where do you buy it?

I have a few questions about Vermiculite Insulation.

1. Where do you buy the stuff? HomeDepot?
    2. Is it hazardous to your health? Is it like asbestos?
    3. How much does it cost?
    4. Do you have a good web site on it? where to BUY it?
    5. Is it hard to work with?

I hope someone can answer these questions.
    fb66

Re: Vermiculite Insulation? Where do you buy it?

Originally posted by fullback66 View Post
    I have a few questions about Vermiculite Insulation.

1. Where do you buy the stuff? HomeDepot?
    No, you won't find the large bags there. Try a local plant store. If they don't keep the 4 cubic bags in stock they can usually order them for you. You might also think about perlite. It is supposed to be a little easier to work with and have slightly better insulating properties.

2. Is it hazardous to your health? Is it like asbestos?
    It's not like asbestos, but in the past, I do believe some manufacturers had trace amounts of asbestos in their material. You SHOULD use a dust mask though. It is very dusty and abrasive. Goggles should be used as well.

3. How much does it cost?
    I paid up to $21.98 for a 4 cubic foot bag, and as low as $19.99. I used 2 bags for the insulating hearth under the oven. Most builders use more than that. And I have bought 2 more bags for the outside of the dome. I am not sure if that will be enough for the outside or not.

4. Do you have a good web site on it? where to BUY it?
    Better to find it locally if you can, shipping can be expensive because this is bulky stuff. Like I said, try a nursery, garden center, or even a pool supply company in your area. Avoid vermiculite or perlite that has been coated with silicon. It's not good for mixing with cement.

5. Is it hard to work with?
    The easiest part of the project for me. Very light mixture and easy to spread.

I hope someone can answer these questions.
    fb66

Also, try to find course perlite or vermiculite.
    I hope this helps.
    Are you planning on building an oven?
    If so, make sure you ask plenty of questions and read through many of these threads. It will benefit you greatly!

Good luck!
    My thread:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
    My costs:
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
    My pics:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Thank you for the great information.
      I am tring to get all my duck in a row on materials, designs and cost before I begin. I will have one built. It might be awhile though.

I am very new at this and learning.

thanks again,
      fb66

Comment

I found perlite and vermiculite at a hydroponics shop. Good for mixing with portland cement. $20 - $35 per 4 cuft bag.

I also found silicone-coated perlite at a masonry yard. This stuff is very fine-grained, and flows like water through the tiniest crevices. Suitable only for loose-fill insulation. (Typically used to insulate concrete block walls.) Less than $10/bag.
        -Chris-
        I'm building a Pompeii Oven in Austin, Texas. See my progress at:
        Il Forno Fumoso

Comment

Thanks chris,
          I liked the web site of your oven. I also like the material list you made up. It helps me in my goal of creating an oven.
          fb66

Comment

I purchased all my vermiculite at Home Depot in the 4 cu ft bags. I paid $20.77 per bag and just finished filling the void area in my gable house. Roof goes up this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by dalucca2003 View Post
              I purchased all my vermiculite at Home Depot in the 4 cu ft bags. I paid $20.77 per bag and just finished filling the void area in my gable house. Roof goes up this weekend.
              LIkewise, our Home Depot had it for $19.99/4 cu. ft. bags.

Comment

Originally posted by asudavew View Post
                No, you won't find the large bags there. Try a local plant store. If they don't keep the 4 cubic bags in stock they can usually order them for you. You might also think about perlite. It is supposed to be a little easier to work with and have slightly better insulating properties.

It's not like asbestos, but in the past, I do believe some manufacturers had trace amounts of asbestos in their material. You SHOULD use a dust mask though. It is very dusty and abrasive. Goggles should be used as well.

I paid up to $21.98 for a 4 cubic foot bag, and as low as $19.99. I used 2 bags for the insulating hearth under the oven. Most builders use more than that. And I have bought 2 more bags for the outside of the dome. I am not sure if that will be enough for the outside or not.

Better to find it locally if you can, shipping can be expensive because this is bulky stuff. Like I said, try a nursery, garden center, or even a pool supply company in your area. Avoid vermiculite or perlite that has been coated with silicon. It's not good for mixing with cement.

The easiest part of the project for me. Very light mixture and easy to spread.

Also, try to find course perlite or vermiculite.
                I hope this helps.
                Are you planning on building an oven?
                If so, make sure you ask plenty of questions and read through many of these threads. It will benefit you greatly!

Good luck!
                Some HD do carry the large bags. Mine did. You should call your local store.

Comment

Thanks dan,
                  I will be asking plenty of questions.
                  fb66

Comment

Working...
                  X