Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much did it cost to build your oven?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How much did it cost to build your oven?

I went over $2K on mine. The eight feet of Duravent chimney was a killer.
    GJBingham
    -----------------------------------
    Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
      We keep hearing about aluminum foil. What's it for? You certainly don't need a vapor barrier, and any slight reflective effect it might have will disappear as it dulls up and rots in contact with the caustic portland cement.
      One reason is, if you're using rockwool for insulation, you have to make sure it doesn't get too damp while you apply the next layer... a layer of aluminium foil should keep a lot of the moisture off until the vermcrete or stucco or whatever has cured and dried, and after that it doesn't much matter if the foil rots.

That's one practical reason - my rockwool actually came with its own foil layer alreay attached... but it does seem that some builders are using a layer of foil in the hope of getting more insulation value.

Crowtrapper, while the vermcrete will insulate you oven perfectly well (or so I've been told) might I suggest that 200 USD for insultation is not actually all that much... how much did you spend on the firebricks? The insulation is at least as important as the bricks... scrimp on the stucco, cover the oven with recycled materials or rocks from your local river bed... but don't try to save on the insulation!

The killer on my oven cost was the stand... 2500 for the lovely lime stone blocks... aftr that I stopped counting
      "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

I found that rockwool insulation tended to compress very easily and that made it difficult to get a good shape when trying to render over it
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Do you have to put a render over your insulation if you are building an enclosure around your dome, or is that only if you plan to make the finished project an igloo??
          Thanx
          George Stein

Comment

$550 US on the oven itself...than I spent almost $500 on the granite tile (really wanted to match the kitchen), and then another $100 worth of stone veneer I already had from another project....so total about $1150.

Comment

render if you do an igloo type - if you are making a weatherproof sturcture around the dome you don't need to render it unless you want a stucco finish on your stucture.

If you pour vermiculite or perlite into your structure - make sure it is absolutely sealed - that stuff will find any crack to escape!!!

Christo
              My oven progress -
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
              sigpic

Comment

I was speaking to one of the suppliers down here discussing a castable oven...

He said that placing a couple of sheets of foil between the cast & blanket is for slippage purposes, to help the blanket absorb some expansion to lessen cracking of outer insulation layer... maybe to reduce pressure points??

I asked if it was to help repel any heat & he said, no, not at all

Incidentally, the oven I am about to commence will come in @$700.00 - $900.00AUD, DIY Castable refractory Igloo

Phil

Comment

where did people get their bricks from in aus? Any good suppliers in QLD? Hope to start soon and I'm in the process of gathering.
                  thanks

Comment

My oven cost about $700 US. I made a point of scrounging and buying off craigslist. I didn't want to get heavily invested since I didn't know if I was was even going to like it. I do. I would like to do another one and would budget $1500 next time
                    berryst
                    sigpic

Comment

Hi All,
                      I am excited to start building my own oven! My fiance has always wanted one and i am going to surprise him with all the materials so we can build it together!
                      Thanks for your help!

Comment

Well all told so far with just the fire brick, insulation and mortars. Just under$1000. does not count the foundation and that was for a 32" inside

Comment

In materials only for my castable oven, I would have spent under $1,500.00AUS.

Comment

Just a new member here. i have been working out what type of Pizza Oven to build and went through several types finally feeling the desire to build the entire oven from brick. I did a cost analysis based on the material list from Forno Bravo for the DIY Pompeii and modified to fit into my completed design. I was surprised at the final estimate of $5560. Higher then I expected, thinking more on the line of several thousand when I first started the thought process. The largest price estimate has to do with my larger pad and base design requirements and rock veneer finish. I am including my rough design along with material list developed. Most of the list is generic from the Forno Bravo materials list but I added additional material based on my design. The price includes all the additional tools and kitchen accessories for the pizza oven. It even includes a cement mixer for $175.00. While the actual cost may be reduced later with better sourcing of materials, I have found it to be a good process to price out your own design ideas. If I hadn't done my homework I would have assumed an estimate of less then $2000 from all the comments posted here.

Comment

Looks like the general consensus is around $1500 US, which is I'm assuming is a DIY brick dome.

I'm getting the CASA100 kit (40" oven), which is ~$3,500 shipped so I don't have to build brick-by-brick.
                              Blocks, mortar, rebar, concrete for the stand, lets call that $300.
                              Contractor poured the 7' x 7' x 1' thick pad, that was $500
                              Steel studs, concrete board, perlite insulation, shingled roof, misc. lumber for roof and forming up pours, $500
                              Exterior natural stone facing, $1200

I'm coming up at $6000, which should be fairly accurate for a kit vs. DIY brick design.

Comment

Working...
                              X