Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much did it cost to build your oven?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much did it cost to build your oven?

Hello,
    I am very new to this and have a million questions about these beutiful ovens I have been looking at. It may be none of my buisness but I am going to ask anyway. How much did it cost you to build your oven? I am making a material list and wanted to know what the range was.

I will do the work myself. I will not have to pay for labor. I also live in the mid-west. I don't know if that would make a differance.

thanks,
    fb66

Re: How much did it cost to build your oven?

The ranges vary greatly.

If you are looking to build on the cheap, check out my spreadsheet.

I should come in at just under 700 dollars.

On my spreadsheet, I broke out each step so the dollars could flow out of hand in manageable chunks. Instead of one big payout.

And it helps with the cost if you already have some tools or access to tools, like a saw to cut bricks.
    My thread:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
    My costs:
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
    My pics:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

My cost breakdown, not as fancy I am afraid..

Entire oven and enclose = $1200
      Exterior stonework work labor = $560
      Wade Lively

Comment

I'm looking at about 900 including the enclosure.

Comment

I have chosen not to keep track. Ignorance is bliss
          Oven Progress
          Bread Photos
          Oven Stand Thread

Comment

About $700AUD or so but my father had alot of his own materials (base bricks, concrete slab etc..).

That is with some accessories also thow.
            Regards
            Adrian

Comment

There is another thread on cost somewhere...here it is
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f30/...rth-2136.html?
              to embarrassed to reiterate my numbers...
              Drake
              My Oven Thread:
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

I am about to start building and oven and must tell you of what I saw last weekend (relating to costs) - a lady friend of mine built an oven one day (yes one day) with the help of her 2 teenaged sons. All 3 fairly unskilled. They used no firebricks, only old common red bricks; and no fireproof mortar. For a base they used an old corrugated iron tank about 4 feet in diameter and about 30 inches high, filled with sand. They made a platform of bricks which was the hearth, then built a form of wet sand in a dome shape on top of that; then built the dome of bricks and cleaned out the sand form from inside. Then they sort of added an old stove door to the gap in the front. Rough as bags! No chimney - don't need it because the fire draws through the gaps in the dome's mortar joints!!! Needs a lot of wood; doesn't hold heat too well (fire must be kept going while cooking) - but it turned out marvellous pizzas for a large number of people. Just showed me what you can get away with. She thinks it will disintegrate after a couple of years but by then they will have got sick of pizza anyway - and the cost was zero.

Comment

Originally posted by crowtrapper View Post
                  ...but by then they will have got sick of pizza anyway
                  I bet they won't! That's when they'll build a permanent one
                  Ken H. - Kentucky
                  42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                  Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Mine will come in at a bit over AU$1000, but I bought most of the tools I needed for it. I think the insulation is the biggest cost for me but you could save a fair bit there if you used vermiculite. I think the whole thing is very do-able for $6-$700 if you own or borrow the tools, and take the cheapest options you can find without compromising too much on quality. You can also break it down into chunks of a few hundred dollars at a time - get the cement and pour that, then get the blocks for the stand, etc.

Approx material costs for me:
                    20 bags Cement - $140
                    4 t Gravel & sand - $160
                    50 odd Besser blocks - ~ $150
                    30 odd meters of Rebar - ~ $100
                    200 Bricks - free if I picked them up
                    Cement board - $25
                    Insulation ~ $300
                    And I still need to get some pavers for the floor, plus the finish for the stand.
                    My oven: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/21/t...html#post46599
                    My blog: Live For Pizza

Comment

As i al just starting my, completion July 09, I have only calculations. i will buy from FB insulation and fire motar about $560. I have red clay for the opening and will get firebrick seconds (a tip from someone on this site) for .30 cents. i hope to do this for less than $1000 US.

cdfinney

Comment

I am planning on $1500, and hoping it does not go over $1750. I don't have all the scrap wood that I used to always have on hand, and don't have all the cinder blocks that I used to just have sitting around (moved a couple to times and had no place to put it all).

I think I can do it for $1500, but then I have not found sources for all the materials yet in Dallas.

Travis
                        TravisNTexas

Comment

My whole project came in around 9 grand. that's for the pavers, block, brick, dump fee's, etc... I could break out the oven seperately, but I don't want to revisit that pain.

Les...
                          Check out my pictures here:
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

I think mine has about $1000 in it- but I really prefer not to know for sure.
                            Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Mine was on the upper end of the scale. I bought an existing shell, the Casa 100 .....seems like it was about 3500.00 with shipping and all. I paid a guy to pour the foundation and hearth 1200.00 and a guy to frame the sides (I don't remember how much) and a guy to roof it (about 75.00) We did the concrete blocks and angle irons, the stucco work on the back and inside, and the stone work on the outside. I'm thinking I am closer to 5000-7000 dollars.....I have made enough pizzas now though that I am a cost of $300/pizza instead of 600/pizza....Ha. I used to wonder why everyone would go to the trouble to cut those bricks and mortor them, etc, now I know why. I love my oven, but sometimes I wish I had bought the one that comes in one piece ready to fire, and I would be able to take it with me if I moved.

Comment

Working...
                              X