How to get a flat/level deck on top of this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get a flat/level deck on top of this

Let me preface by saying I am planning to construct an adobe oven not a brick oven. I love to make pizza and yearn for a high temperature oven but a proper brick oven is just not in the budget at the moment.

We "discovered" the remains of an old 1960s grill in our backyard after we moved in which was absolutely covered by weeds and overgrowth. I've been working a little and cleaning it up a bit and come up with what I think is a solid foundation and 3 walls.

There is a picture at XJ dot cdevco dot net slash temp slash oven dot jpg (sorry can't link yet).

Now I am trying trying to figure out is what, if anything, can I do to pour a slab on top (or another level surface on top of which to put an oven) of this. The sides and rear are "relatively" level, I mean within a couple of inches of each other.

I tried to investigate putting pieces of wood on the sides like is seen in the pompeii manual but there's huge gaps where the different blocks sit.

Secondly, would a concrete slab even hold the weight (not sure how much that is) with the large gap and no "front" wall?

I guess there is always an option to build a wall in the front and fill the hole, but I thought that would make good storage space.

Thanks - hopefully I am making some form of sense in attempting to explain my intentions!

Re: How to get a flat/level deck on top of this

Originally posted by pjcampo View Post
    Let me preface by saying I am planning to construct an adobe oven not a brick oven. I love to make pizza and yearn for a high temperature oven but a proper brick oven is just not in the budget at the moment.

We "discovered" the remains of an old 1960s grill in our backyard after we moved in which was absolutely covered by weeds and overgrowth. I've been working a little and cleaning it up a bit and come up with what I think is a solid foundation and 3 walls.

There is a picture at XJ dot cdevco dot net slash temp slash oven dot jpg (sorry can't link yet).

Now I am trying trying to figure out is what, if anything, can I do to pour a slab on top (or another level surface on top of which to put an oven) of this. The sides and rear are "relatively" level, I mean within a couple of inches of each other.

I tried to investigate putting pieces of wood on the sides like is seen in the pompeii manual but there's huge gaps where the different blocks sit.

Secondly, would a concrete slab even hold the weight (not sure how much that is) with the large gap and no "front" wall?

I guess there is always an option to build a wall in the front and fill the hole, but I thought that would make good storage space.

Thanks - hopefully I am making some form of sense in attempting to explain my intentions!
    Here is a link: http://xj.cdevco.net/temp/oven.jpg

Now to the matter at hand. My approach may seem simplistic - specifics can be found within the forum with a bit of searching.

Not sure how large the enclosure is but, it would seem to me that you could start with a piece of angle iron across the front as a means of support for what is to follow. On top of this structure, pour a concrete base pad - making it larger [cantilevered] if needed. This pad would have rebar for strength and could temporarily be supported from below.

On top of the base slab, pour an insulating layer and build your adobe oven.

J W

Comment

Um, JW, I think his problem is how to get the top of that thing level enough to put a slab on it at all.

Hi PJ,

Disclaimer: I'm probably the least competent person around - wait for Uno or someone to confirm - or laugh hysterically - before using my advice (assuming you're nuts enough to consider using my advice ).

I would think you could level the top the same way you level for the bottom course - us a bed of mortar. Basically, you use mortar like frosting on the top of the walls and level it. Just like on a cake the irregularities underneath it will be covered. Worst case you might need brick or block slivers to bring it up an inch or two before covering with mortar.

Once that dries you can put the slab on top.

Hope that helps!
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
      [/CENTER]

Comment

First of all, is your base big enough for your slab, or does it need to be cantilevered out over the edge? If it's big enough, you just put up your forms so they are close to the blocks, brace them from below, and level the forms at the top. If the slab has to hang over, the carpentery is a little more complex, but the principal is the same. Likewise, you make your plywood fit the center hole, and you brace it from the bottom so it is more or less level. It doesn't matter if it exactly meets the tops of the blocks. Stuff any big holes with crumpled scrap paper, and cover the stuffed gaps with packing tape if you want a smooth surface. Then you fit your rebar, pour your concrete to your four inches or whatever, then place your insulating board, or pack in your four inches of vermiculite concrete. Depending on what you are using for your insulation you can level the slab to the top of the forms you use.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

This picture might help you. I had a very uneven stand and sort of shaped the boards to "fit". They only need to be approximate, because as dmun says, you can stuff the holes with paper.
          "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Working...
          X