Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firebrick costs in the UK

Hiya,

I am looking at building an oven but am keen to work out the cost first, so that I don't run out of money and end up with a half finished folley in the back garden

Can anyone who has already built an oven in the UK give me an idea of the costs, in particular for the firebricks as these seem to be the most expensive item for the project.

Many thanks,

Jon

Re: Firebrick costs in the UK

Hi Jon,

Speaking as the owner of a half finished folly in the back garden I can attest to how expensive firebricks are in the UK. If you search for 'firebrick UK' in this forum you'll find some of the prices that others have found, and some of the sources. Perhaps someone else can chip in with the latest prices?

I gave up trying to find cheap, new firebricks, and instead kept watching ebay until some came up cheap. It paid off in the end, but took a few months wait. I'm doing what I can to cut as many costs as I can as I'm restricted to a tight budget, plus I want to use recycled material as much as possible. I can heartily recommend freecycle and ebay to those trying to save money. You might find a local reclaim yard that can also help you out - unfortunately mine had just sold a large batch of firebricks to a local builder the day before I called

Carl
    http://fornoeconomico.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hi Jon,
      Funny, but I was just talking about firebrick cost. I'm in California, so maybe not much help, but I was able to buy "seconds" from the local brick manufacturer at about 1/4 the price of firsts. Any local brick manufacturers?

Good luck. Hope to hear that you found some, somewhere. My folly is half done, and I'm lovin' it!

dusty

Comment

The last time I walked past a currency exchange in Manhattan, the Dollar was almost free compared to the Pound and the Euro. Firebricks are under a dollar retail in the states. Why don't you folks form a buying club and buy a container load? You could sell any left over on eBay and pay for the shipping.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Working...
        X