• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tmcgree
    replied
    Re: FB Brand Insulation

Hi,
    I'm new to all this and am hoping to build my own oven sometime. Can anyone tell me which is preferrable for isulation - vermiculite, or fiberglass (or both) -- also is vermiculite essentially the same as perlite?

Thanks,
    -Tom

Leave a comment:

• mfiore
    replied

Is there any benefit to putting a coating of mortar on the outside edge of the board once it's up, to "seal" the edge at all?

Leave a comment:

• mannextdoor
    replied

Thanks James. I want to do it right the first time.

Leave a comment:

• james
    replied

You should keep it dry. It's OK getting it wet when you are putting it on wet concrete, or putting mortar on top of it -- it dries and stays strong -- but you can't let it stay wet, or it will break down.

If you tarp it well, you should be fine.
    James

Leave a comment:

• mannextdoor
    replied

I am using FB Board on my 42" build. How important is it to keep it dry though out the build? Even if you cover it and get a good rain, some water could run under and get to the board.

Leave a comment:

• nissanneill
    replied

Hi Leados, and welcome aboard.
    where abouts are you in Adelaide?
    I ask as there are a few of us fellow FB forum members here.
    To answer your supplier question, contact:

Thermal Ceramics Australia Pty Ltd
    10-14 Toogood Avenue

Beverley Park 5009
    South Australia
    Australia

Phone: 61 8 8243 5300
    Fax: 61 8 8243 0571

You will get onto a very efficient lady who has her finger on the pulse. I forget her name at present but will remeber it as soon as I send this reply to you.
    Not bad on the eye either!

Neill

Leave a comment:

• Leados
    replied

Hi
    I am in the process of getting all my materials up together to build a outdoor pizza oven.
    Can anyone help me with these questions.
    I am going build the pizza oven on steel frame with wheels (possibly angle iron),
    what would be the best and lightest material under the oven floor? and where would i purchase these items in Adelaide?
    I am going to build a domed clay oven, any tips and suggestions would be good.

Leados

Leave a comment:

• Puy de Dome
    replied

Google Yorkshire Refractories.

PdD

Leave a comment:

• builder brad
    replied

Anyone know where I can get the ceramic insulating blanket in the UK?

Leave a comment:

• Bayaba
    replied

Could someone provide the specs for the FB Board?

Also, is any progress being made on a TC kit?

Thanks,
    Tom

Leave a comment:

• RCLake
    replied

Originally posted by james View Post
    We are using SuperIsol to fill in, and matching the FB Board price. This should work out fine. Send me a PM with your contact info, and we give you a call.

We blew through a big order of FB Board and Blanket, and we're waiting on the new container. Ah, supply chain.

Stand by.
    James
    I'm glad business is booming, I got my first order yesterday.

Leave a comment:

• james
    replied

We are using SuperIsol to fill in, and matching the FB Board price. This should work out fine. Send me a PM with your contact info, and we give you a call.

We blew through a big order of FB Board and Blanket, and we're waiting on the new container. Ah, supply chain.

Stand by.
    James

Leave a comment:

• thebadger
    replied

James,

I called to order some FB board (wanted to install on top of my vermiculite layer) and the girls said your out - is it really going to be 6 weeks before you get any in???

I'm hoping to start the actuall oven in a few weeks.

Thanks
    Dick

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

James, you know you can't just get by on things anymore. This forum has grown exponentially, the creative thoughts, ideas applied, etc. I am sure the door thread would be big, since it is the final step to the oven, well maybe one of the final steps....

Leave a comment:

• james
    replied

Hey Dick,

I missed that one; sorry about that. You should definitely fully enclose any of these ceramic insulation products -- whether it's over the dome, under the oven, or potentially in the door. All of this type of high heat insulation is made with woven ceramic fibers that are not good to breath or come in skin contact.

Perhaps we should open a thread on building a highly insulated door. I've always got by with the basic steel door.
    James

Leave a comment:

Working...
X