X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: FB Brand Insulation

Quick question:

I live in Chicago, and the few FB guys I have called priced one board at around $120. That is way more money than I thought. Any ideas for a cheaper option or a good substitute?

Comment

Check your local refractory store for Calcium Silicate boards, same stuff as FB board.

Comment

Originally posted by will1t17 View Post
        Quick question:

I live in Chicago, and the few FB guys I have called priced one board at around $120. That is way more money than I thought. Any ideas for a cheaper option or a good substitute?
        Not sure who you mean by the "few FB guys", but I assume you are not talking about our hosts.

Forno Bravo store carries the boards for $70 each. that is the cheapest I found them. HW distributor was about what you quoted. Ridonkulous.

support our hosts, and save money!
        FB Board 36242 :: Installation Accessories :: Forno Bravo Store
        My build progress
        My WFO Journal on Facebook
        My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

We sell Calsil board for $30/sheet, cant see why it is so expensive over your way. Sheet size is 1m x 600mm x 40mm thick.

Comment

Let me clarify. By "FB guys" I was referring to local distributors. Our host does offer the best price I can find even with shipping costs.

Comment

Do a local search for "industial insulation". Get the phone numbers and speak to a salesman. Ask about CalSil (calcium silicate). If the prices in Chicago are any where near what they are in the South, You should be able to find a box of 2" X 12" X 24" CalSil for under 90 bucks + taxes, (if you can it pick up at the warehouse). A box will be more than enough for a 42" oven.
              Hope this helps.
              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by will1t17 View Post
                Let me clarify. By "FB guys" I was referring to local distributors. Our host does offer the best price I can find even with shipping costs.
                You know, I forgot about McGill's Warehouse. I ordered my ceramic blanket from them and the price was really good

Looks like they also have a good price on Ceramic Fiber board - which is the same thing our hosts sells. Three 2' x 3' x 2" boards for $164.

McGills Warehouse Online Department Store,HF102 2" Ceramic Fiber Boards Density: 17.5lb/ft3 or 280kg/m3(D1A)(G2B)(G3C)

FWIW, I looked all over for local insulation suppliers and didn't find much. I think price & availability varies quite substantially based on location.

If you do order from McGills, I suggest checking out the ceramic blanket prices too - they are really low.

McGills Warehouse Online Department Store,HF10 Ceramic Fiber Blanket 2" - 8lb/ft3 or 128kg/m3

Good Luck!

Dennis
                My build progress

Comment

Dont get Ceramic fiber board mixed up with calSil board, two different types. Calsil is much harder and tougher.

Comment

Hmmm. Well, I didn't think I was confused. - I think the product McGill's sells is the same as what FB sells, despite the different name. Heat specs, density, size, weight all pretty much the same.

Given the potential savings, I'd definitely call them before I ordered and ask for a spec sheet -worth investigating.

Unfortunately, theres no $30 board available in the US! Well, maybe in A$. I haven't checked the exchange rate lately
                    Last edited by deejayoh; 04-11-2012, 11:30 PM.
                    My build progress

Comment

In the chicago area, contact Armil CFS - tell them you are looking for pizza oven insulation.
                      Armil C.F.S.

Comment

jpar-thanks so much

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                          You know, I forgot about McGill's Warehouse. I ordered my ceramic blanket from them and the price was really good

Looks like they also have a good price on Ceramic Fiber board - which is the same thing our hosts sells. Three 2' x 3' x 2" boards for $164.

McGills Warehouse Online Department Store,HF102 2" Ceramic Fiber Boards Density: 17.5lb/ft3 or 280kg/m3(D1A)(G2B)(G3C)

FWIW, I looked all over for local insulation suppliers and didn't find much. I think price & availability varies quite substantially based on location.

If you do order from McGills, I suggest checking out the ceramic blanket prices too - they are really low.

McGills Warehouse Online Department Store,HF10 Ceramic Fiber Blanket 2" - 8lb/ft3 or 128kg/m3

Good Luck!

Dennis
                          deejayoh.....These prices from McGills are great!! Almost too good to be true. What was your experience with them and the quality of the product you received? I am about ready to order board and blanket. Thanks
                          Album https://plus.google.com/photos/10154...CKP9op6ilID7eA

Comment

There are a bunch of FB dealers in or near CT, if you can pick it up locally - otherwise, the shipping can cost as much as the product. By the way, the 1" blanket is easier to drape over the dome.

Comment

404 error on the first post's links... This has probably been mentioned before, but you really should take them down if they're not working anymore, and possibly revise the first post?

Unless it's just me?

Comment

It appears to me that McGills offers THREE boards (24" x 36" x 2") for almost the same price as FB has for TWO boards.
                                Am I missing something here?
                                Is this the same product?
                                I would much rather buy from FB but money is money...

Comment

Working...
                                X