Building tandoori oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Building tandoori oven

Oh oh, I made a mistake. I hope nobody was looking. I meant castable refractory material.

G.
    GJBingham
    -----------------------------------
    Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Hey GJBIngham - you could have been more sly and hit the edit button rather than add a new post. But now that you drew attention to yourself....yeah we looked

Comment

Most of the castables Im familiar with have a minimum thickness of 2", and unless its local Im guessing the shipping would cost you the $100. If I were to go the cheap route I would go with an earthware clay and protect it. I know the ones you purchase (and chimneas for that matter) are not fully vetrified and can disintigrate, Id mix in lots of grog, and some cement to harden it up.

Comment

edschmidt,
          You're probably right about the shipping. I really don't see why you couldn't build one out of fire bricks, perhpas cut in thirds either.

Doesn't it look like Robert Musa's terra cotta is cracked in the later pics?

G.
          GJBingham

-

Comment

Here are a couple more sites I found when looking into a tandoor....still interested since it looked like fun!

How to build a tandoor using a flower pot

Tandoor Oven Construction Progress

And I found this when searching for nann bread....

Naan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

take a look at the photo in the lower left (you can enlarge your windows screen to 400% by clicking the lower left of your screen)

How do they get that bread to stick to the sides of that oven!!!
            sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

How do they get that bread to stick to the sides of that oven
              I once spent an evening looking at you-tube videos of nann and tandoor videos. They stretch out the dough just like for pizza, place it on a pillow-like object, then they spray or brush something on the sticky side of the naan, maybe just water, to get it to stick. Then they use the pillow-thing to press it to the side of the tandoor. When it's done, they usually use tongs or a hooked rod to pull it out.
              My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Ah ha! That's it! Great answer David. You re-kindled a couple of my neurons.
                GJBingham

-

Comment

Working...
                X