Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• insulation board over vermicrete

Hi
    If I was to use insulation boards over the vermiculite concrete layer (to improve the insulation effect), do I need to glue or mortar the boards to the vermicrete? If so, what is the material to use?

Also, do you spread an underfloor paste of sand and fireclay over the boards if you are laying down a modular refractory concrete floor as opposed to a brick floor?

Thanks in advance.

Re: insulation board over vermicrete

Originally posted by mieno View Post
    Hi
    If I was to use insulation boards over the vermiculite concrete layer (to improve the insulation effect), do I need to glue or mortar the boards to the vermicrete?
    Easy answer: No. You are going to build a 1500 pound on top of the board. Gravity will win .

Also, do you spread an underfloor paste of sand and fireclay over the boards if you are laying down a modular refractory concrete floor as opposed to a brick floor?
    I'll let someone else take that question.
    Ken H. - Kentucky
    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

No. The fireclay/sand layer is for leveling the brick floor if you are laying it on an uneven surface, like vermiculite concrete.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Not that this is a normal way to do it, I used regular mortar to install my insulation board over the concrete. I didn't feel it would move in the future but had a concern during construction, also my board came 12" x 12".
        I used a wet fireclay/sand mixture to place my firebrick floor, but with our winter winds that dried our to fast. When I was mortaring down my first soldier row I didn't notice that I readjusted the floor slightly, so I have a couple of gaps I'll fill with with the dust from sanding the floor down. If I had to do it again I would use a little refractory mortar to place the floor.
        for what it is worth
        RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
        Oven Thread

Comment

Working...
        X