Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: stucco advice

I agree with GJB.
    Just will be necessary to wait until the vermiculite/cement be dry (good when hard and hollow when gently beated)

Luis

Comment

Mieno,
      How did your stucco project go, any advise? I'm planning on doing it tomorrow over 4-5" of ceramic blanket.

George,
      I'll use the recipe from 'the book' and was wondering how much to make? The area over the blanket will be about 33 sf and an inch (????) would be less than 3cf or about 19 gallons. Sounds like one batch to me.

I'm putting chicken wire over the blankets and was wondering how I'll anchor that down to the dome.
      RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
      Oven Thread

Comment

We have used a two-pass process for our entire house project. The first coat (Uno) has a setting agent, where it dries quickly and does not leave any cracks. Great stuff. Then we hit it with the white smooth coat. We have painted everything (after sealing the concrete), rather than doing color-in. It gives a nice old-world look, rather than the more modern acrylic stuccos.

We buy it at our local big building supply store (Granite Rock).

Here are photos. Great stuff.
        James
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

James,
          How long did/would you cure the stucco around an oven enclosure before painting?

Comment

RC,
            I used three-and-a-half 80 LB bags of base coat on my 37 inch oven. For the finish, I used two bags, of which about 1/3 was disposed of because it set faster than I could place it.
            GJBingham
            -----------------------------------
            Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Originally posted by telehort View Post
              James,
              How long did/would you cure the stucco around an oven enclosure before painting?
              3-4 days from the smooth finish coat. There is a test you can run on the stucco to check if it's dry.

James
              Pizza Ovens
              Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

RC
                I ended up using a traditional stucco mix of lime, portland and sand. 3 coats with an oxide in the final coat. Went on well and looks great, no cracking (kept it damp for a week).

I also used 5 layers of ceramic blanket, then chicken wire then stucco. I replaced the vermiculite concrete layer with more blanket. I tried using a ridgidizer for the ceramic blanket which did firm it up but if I did it again I wouldn't bother - just use the chicken wire.

I was going to put a stone veneer on the outside as I have some left over but don't know if I will bother now.

Will post some pics when I work out how to do it!

How did your stucco go?

Comment

Originally posted by mieno View Post

Will post some pics when I work out how to do it!
                  Have a look here mieno................

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/u...otos-3241.html

Comment

Originally posted by gjbingham View Post
                    RC,
                    I used three-and-a-half 80 LB bags of base coat on my 37 inch oven. For the finish, I used two bags, of which about 1/3 was disposed of because it set faster than I could place it.
                    Did you follow "the book" recipe? Which base coat are you talkng about?
                    RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
                    Oven Thread

Comment

Working...
                    X