X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xabia Jim
    replied
    oven mobility

I remember posting pics of a clay pizza oven (liner?) that I saw and I think it had a steel enclosure. Looked like it could be moved. ( I wish I'd bought one of those liners to try a quick heat pizza oven )

Apart from those designed to be mobile,
    I'm wondering if anyone has had success moving their oven around??
    Last edited by Xabia Jim; 03-10-2008, 04:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• wlively
    replied
    Re: Newbie List of Questions

You can find a range of costs here.
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/h...your-2869.html

Leave a comment:

• TDVT
    replied

Originally posted by TBM66 View Post
    If one were to riff on the melody of the pictured oven you could build up several courses of fire brick and use the stuff below to cast your own dome of any diameter.

RUTLAND 600 CEMENT CASTABLE 12.5" LBs

For that matter you could also cast in place the arch and vent.

Again I'm just sayin' so I can learn.
    I've poked around alot of threads with similar ideas & have found that Mizzou castable or Kastolite seem to be the preferred brands for castable refractory. It is my understanding both have a cured density that is a good match for regular fire brick. It took some looking, but I have found both in Vermont & they are around $45 for 55lbs, ALOT cheaper than the Rutland you linked to. I also seem to remember that it takes around 130lbs to pour a cubic foot (for your volume calculations). Look for them at glass-blowing suppliers as well as the regular masonry houses. Harbison-Walker carries both (I think).

Leave a comment:

• thebadger
    replied

Gang,

I checked into buying a Superior Clay oven as I was only a few hours away. I thought I would go with the 18inch Good thing I found this forum!!!!. They offer an 18", 24" and 36". Again, the issue is the price and more important the shipping. I think they design theirs more for baking than pizza but I might be wrong.

I'm glad I found this site so I can "build my own."

Dick

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

Yes, I was referring to TDVT's pic. Remember that when you cook pizza, you still have a fire going which takes up quite a bit of space. That cuts down the cooking area.

Personally, I still think the adobe oven is a great idea for you. Look forward to seeing what you decide.

Leave a comment:

• TBM66
    replied

If one were to riff on the melody of the pictured oven you could build up several courses of fire brick and use the stuff below to cast your own dome of any diameter.

RUTLAND 600 CEMENT CASTABLE 12.5" LBs

For that matter you could also cast in place the arch and vent.

Again I'm just sayin' so I can learn.

Leave a comment:

• TDVT
    replied

I can't really speak to whether or not it's big enough as I have ZERO experience with WF ovens.

I do have many hours of cooking BBQ with wood in a cooker I built about 10 years ago. I can remember encountering the same design issues, of size,etc. In the end I rarely use it's full capacity.

As far as baking, I have done pizza weekly for 15+ years in home ovens, commercial ovens, grills, modified Webers but not in an actual WFO. I also was able to get some bread-baking advice from some of the local bakers who ALL use WFOs & have been pretty successful with my bread.

We have a commercial Vulcan range at home & the design I am contemplating (maybe I'm daydreaming as well) would be a little larger in size than the Vulcan.

We have too many home projects in the works, new dormers, a tractor shed, so a full-blown Pompeii oven is, unfortunately, down the list. But I cook outside weekly, nearly year-round, so the desire is certainly there.

The dome from the Superior Clay photo is around $235, more than I would want to spend for what would certainly be a compromise in size & utility, but I am still convinced that there is a happy medium out there some where between investment of time/$$ & being able to join the WFO ranks sooner than later.

TBM66, I don't mean to hijack your thread. Keep those ideas coming!

Leave a comment:

• dmun
    replied

That oven is by Superior Clay. It's microscopic. Those are single firebricks holding that hat up. I don't know how you'd build a fire in it, let alone cook something beside it.

That clay tile entry is clever, but think about how thin the strips are on either side of the vent. I can't imagine even lifting it up without breaking it.

To say nothing of what S.C. charges for this thing. If your wallet is that fat, buy the Forno Bravo oven. Much more oven for the money.

Leave a comment:

• TBM66
    replied

Acoma-The blending is infinitely doable with the fireclay....I think

TDVT- THAT'S IT!!!!!! That is exactly how I imagined a chimney liner arch would look.

GJBingham-I'm not sure if you were referring to me or TDVT, but I think I'm leaning toward a simpler but leave behind solution. Or maybe just day dreaming. I'm curious how come you don't think the design TDVT's shows won't do too much cooking?

Leave a comment:

• TBM66
    replied

Acoma-The blending is infinitely doable with the fireclay....I think

TDVT- THAT'S IT!!!!!! That is exactly how I imagined a chimney liner arch would look.

GJBingham-I'm not sure if you were referring to me or TDVT, but I think I'm leaning toward a simpler but leave behind solution. Or maybe just day dreaming. I'm curious how come you don't think the design TDVT's shows won't do too much cooking?
    Last edited by TBM66; 03-07-2008, 04:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

I can't imagine that you can get more than one small pizza in this oven. Looks cool, but if you want to really cook, I don't think this one will suit your needs. I still think a mobile or adobe oven is a good short term choice for you.

Leave a comment:

• TDVT
    replied

Originally posted by TBM66 View Post
    Additionally I've been thinking a bit about the entry arch. Is there a reason why one couldn't take a terracota chimney liner and cut to form the arch? You could likewise cut the chimney vent in the top?

Just askin'

I've been contemplating a smaller, interim oven design myself, using ideas from the one above (found in another thread) as well as things from the Pompeii & Alan Scott designs. I'm afraid a full-blown oven isn't in the cards for me this summer.

So.....

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

You're thinking towards a positive solution....the arch idea can work, but remember, you have the dome opening to blend. DMUN and others will interject better feedback.

Leave a comment:

• TBM66
    replied

So CarlUk got me thinking. (always dangerous)

I saw his fireclay oven. Is there a reason why you couldn't make a brick shaped mold, form the wet clay mix in one and then place the wet, formable brick in the necessary order to create the dome? Or a variation on that theme, use the Rutland castable refractory concrete in the same way?

Additionally I've been thinking a bit about the entry arch. Is there a reason why one couldn't take a terracota chimney liner and cut to form the arch? You could likewise cut the chimney vent in the top?

Just askin'

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Tysen, you ask and you will receive.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X