URGENT oven dimensions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• URGENT oven dimensions

Building a low dome residential brick oven which cannot be any larger than a 33.5" interior diameter. What is the best interior height and what would be the opening size. Should I just pro-rate from the Forno Bravo chart? I plan to arch the opening. Is the height therefore to the highest point, or is this about square inches of free opening?

Re: URGENT oven dimensions

"Best height" could be argued infinitum. Depending on whether your doing a low dome neopolitan style or a more symetrical Nothern Italian style. Depending on your answer, yes, you should be able to reduce the height propotionately from the standard plan for a 36 inch oven.

I didn't use an arch on my oven, but my best guess is the height of the top of the arch of your oven opening is the number used as your goal vs. the free opening height on the sides. If the opening is too high at the top of the arch, you will loose heat faster and have a less efficient oven.
    GJBingham
    -----------------------------------
    Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Pumphouse
      I might suggest shooting for a 34 in diameter for the oven...maybe a 14 to 15 inch interior dome height...finished door height of 9 to 9.5 inches...that should be about one firebrick stood on end if you wanted to opt for a rectangular opening...arched opening wouldn't be too difficult...
      Hope this helps!
      Dutch
      "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
      "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

You can also check out the dimensions of the Casa series here. It's called Volta Bassa in the Italian market, which means low dome -- what you are building.

Home and Garden Pizza Ovens | Residential Pizza Oven

James
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

James beat me to it...I was just about to suggest casa series ovens
          Dutch
          "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
          "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

We will pro-rate as suggested.* Wish us luck! Actually, we accidentally used Type I regular portland for setting the hearth fire brick onto the iso board (used 1/2" setting bed)...will this be okay? Using fireplace mortar for the dome.

Comment

What is the heat factor of the Portland? How much Iso in thickness, 2,3,4?
              An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

1" iso board and the portland is the standard portland used for concrete block work.

Comment

hmmm.....is it too late to go 1-2 more inches with ISO? Would be smart. Trying to look up heat factors on portlant alone

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

You are likely going to have issues with the hearth, floor bricks adhearing to the ISO. We are talking about bricks getting to 700 degrees, something portland cement is not meant for. don't worry about whether the bricks will fail. The goal is for saturated bricks with heat that is not lost. That is also where you want to go the extra mile with insulated floor. Going 1" is threading it, and you will likely loose heat on the floor much more that you wish. If you can, remove the bricks, add 1-2 inches of the ISO. You can just float the bricks on it if you wish.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

The mortaring of firebricks to the insulation board is not so important due to expansion factors, and requiring of similar expansion of mortar, brick. This is why people say to use HIGH TEMP mortar for the dome and arch (Refmix). I have read to many threads of people regretting using heatstop 50 as mortar due to its inferior ability to bond at these high temps. I have paid a pretty penny on quantity of Refmix betting my oven it will be the best. This is not a puzzle, you will build it, it bonds, it stays or fails. As for the cement from hearth bricks to ISO, if you redo the brick to ISO, scrap the cement, not as important as insulation factors needed for foods. This is why I say, if you have not started the dome, go back a step now! More ISO, and I say 3" total for floor. In the end, you will smile always..

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

I agree...most builders use just a slurry of fireclay/sand and water to level the bricks...or nothing at all if you have a nice level hearth slab

Comment

Agreed. Two inches of the Iso board is probably minimum. The plans call for fireclay and water to set the oven floor brick in, then tap them into place. Take your time. Make it great!
                          GJBingham
                          -----------------------------------
                          Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Working...
                          X