Alternative Stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative Stand

I was wondering if anyone has ever made the stand out of anything other then concrete block. I was thinking of either, a metal frame, or a 4x4 pressure treated frame.

I would love any feedback.

Thanks

Re: Alternative Stand

No way wood can hold the oven and hearth.

Metal would be fine, provided it is heavy enough.
    I think the "standard" is 1/4inch angle iron, but I would check into it more.

Someone with a metal stand will voice their experience soon.

But I repeat! No wood!
    My best guess is that my hearth, dome, and insulation add up to at least 3000lbs ( it might be closer to 2 tons).

So stick with a heavy duty metal stand or the standard cinder blocks.

my 2 pennies

dave
    My thread:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
    My costs:
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
    My pics:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

All kinds of materials can and have been used. All of them were capable of holding up a lot of weight. I've seen standard brick, concrete, iron, cobble and river type rock and many more that I've surely forgotten about.
      GJBingham
      -----------------------------------
      Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

It would be easy to engineer a wood stand that would bear the weight of the oven, like one made of double stacked railroad ties, lincoln log style. The problem with wood is that it moves, and in random directions. Ovens are heavy and fragile and you don't want them moving every time the humidity changes.

Concrete blocks are recommended because they are cheap, and available everywhere.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Same thing with wood. Swells and shrinks with changes in humidity. Stone or concrete products are cheap and easy. Iron is good, but will rust eventually.
          GJBingham
          -----------------------------------
          Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

I think the wood idea keeps popping up due to the comfort level thing....nearly everyone has nailed or screwed two boards together at some point in their lives and the hope to use that little knowledge in building an oven, the above mentioned problems from exposed wood shrinking and swelling hopefully will turn the to more suitable block or stone. Really guys, not much masonry skills are needed to pour a slab and stack a few rows of block. Nothing about the pompeii oven plan is difficult, it is dirty and at times stressfull, but very straightforward and easy to complete.......Be green save a tree, you will need it for your fires

RT.

Comment

I agree with RT. Everyone has at some point worked with wood. Its easy to cut. Easy to fasten together. But pouring concrete, laying block isn't rocket science. And what an opportunity to broaden ones skills and experience if they've never done it. My dad always told me; you should learn something new every day. If you don't you're not paying enough attention

Comment

I just purchased 1.5" x 3" steel tubing for my frame.
                It will eventually be mounted on it's own suspension on a trailer frame.
                with careful use of lightweight materials I think I can hold the total weight down to just over 2,000 lb. plus the trailer/suspension.
                If I get the work area cleaned up, I should start cutting and welding this weekend.

Comment

Photo post practice. These are my boys.

Comment

I am building an oven for my daughter that is to be mounted on a wooden deck. So I made a steel frame from 40mm rolled hollow section, which will be screwed to the deck. Shall post some photos when I finish it.
                    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I agree about working with wood - most have some experience working with it.

Up to this point I have done 0 work with concrete and already have my hearth ready to go... I did call my brother in law with a few questions but I"m getting more comfortable working with concrete.

If I can do it, anyone can.

Dick

Comment

David,

What is your estimate of oven weight?

...are you putting anything extra under the deck for support?
                        sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

The stand will be screwed to the deck and into the bearers which are 450 mm centres. The weight of the oven including the supporting slab will be 200Kg so existing floor joists should be sufficient.
                          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
                          X