X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Another foundation question

Mfiore

Very carefully... kidding.

I dug everything by hand - probably about 16 inches wide - just enough to get in with my shovel. I just got the bottom as level as I could to the depth I wanted. I then built a "grid" on top with 2x4 that was my "true" level. I then uses a long "screed" to ensure that my concrete was level throughout the trench 6+" thick. All in all I was only off by a 1/4 an inch or so.

Hope this helps.
    Dick
    Again, you can do it all with concrete but I liked this method as I was able to to it all myself.

Comment

Clever leveling system! You still had to get into the trench to lay the block, though, correct? Working in a skinny 4 foot deep trench seems uncomfortable, as well as claustrophobic.
      Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
      My oven build thread

Comment

Looks like a good way to do it, Dick. I'm still trying to figure out what to do with all the leftover dirt from mine; you probably didn't have as much.

I also dug by hand, over several weeks. It wasn't too bad, and there were no rocks to speak of. Mostly solid red clay. But we do have lots of frost heave around here, so I think it was worth it.

Daren
        Picasa web album
        Oven-building thread

Comment

My boys found out what to do with the dirt - drag it inside the house!

Actually I'm going to install a small "retaining" wall to the left of the oven (hill) on that side. I should be able to get rid of the dirt I had left.

Yes, there wasn't a lot of room to stack the blocks. The tricky part was back filling with dirt as I worked my way up...

I think it worked out pretty well myself. I'm planning on pouring the concete hearth this weekend.

Thanks
          Dick

FYI - I just lined the inside with pavers.

Comment

OK, you two guys are nominated for next month's "Deepest Footer" contest!
            Nice work guys.

Ken
            Ken H. - Kentucky
            42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
            Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

You're definitely a builder! Everything looks great, even overdone a bit. That's good. Removes the chances for errors. Nice pics too. Keep up the good work!
              GJBingham
              -----------------------------------
              Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Mfiore,
                I had the same dilemma you are going through...I am in Minnesota and our frost line is 48" I think. My oven is built on a brick patio, I should say that I built the patio in order to build the oven, but anyway...I had 2 choices: build 4 concrete pillars below frost line and on top build the base slab for the oven, just like a first floor of any building. All of this seemed too complicated and cumbersome to me, and after speaking with a friend who build the oven on a floating foundation in the middle of woods 10 years ago and it is still there without any crack...I decided to take the risk; the foundation of the brick patio goes down 2-3 feet with packed sand and gravel which keeps the water away. So I decided to take the risk. You need to consider the place you are building the foundation, if it is stable, if it is a place where water stands or it is a place where water runs during big rain...all of these factors will play against the stability of the terrain. On the other end, garages are built on floating concrete with no re-bars. So if you want to be 100% sure go with the pillars or something similar, if you think you can take the risk, my only suggestion would be to build a solid slab (more re-bars) and ticker (6-8") and even if it moves, will not brake, so all the structure will move a little bit and it should not be a problem. Hope this help, Carlo
                Ciao Carlo

Cost spreadsheet updated 4/22/08

Pictures updated 5/28/08

Comment

Re: Another Foundation question

Originally posted by dmun View Post

Here's a quote from the last link, the Canadian Building Digest:
                  Where a detached building is located on a concrete slab on grade, protection will be provided by placing the slab on a mat of coarse granular material, which will act as a buffer against any movement of the soil under the mat. A mat 12 to 18 in. in thickness is usually adequate
                  Would you compact sand on top of this layer for levelling purposes, before putting your slab down?
                  S.

Comment

If the gravel is well compacted then I would not, as you can level with the concrete pour (for the slab)
                    Ciao Carlo

Pictures updated 5/28/08

Comment

I actually have a 6'x8' slab that I am going to put down, instead of pouring one.
                      Should have clarified
                      S.

Comment

then I would add the sand otherwise I don't see how you can level it, on top the sand will help to distribute evenly the weight
                        Ciao Carlo

Pictures updated 5/28/08

Comment

Thats what I thought, just wanted to double check
                          Thanks!
                          S.

Comment

Okay guys, if I have a natural sand base on higher ground, do I need anything under my slab?

I think when the garage nearby was poured it was just done on the sand.
                            Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane

Comment

Working...
                            X