Insulating Fire Brick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insulating Fire Brick

Hi. I'm new to the forum and have just finished the base. I'm going to build a 36' dome oven. I have several boxes of Insulating Fire Brick by Thermal Ceramics. I plan on using them to insulate the pizza cooking floor. The insulating bricks are white, lighter, and are 9.5 x 4.5 x 2.5. Do you think these will work to insulate below the pizza cooking floor? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

You can do that but they are not nearly as good a insulator as the vermicreete or cf board so you will need a thicker layer to equal the insulation value.

Randy

Comment

I've seen them laid on edge in at least one build. So 4.5". But check the thermal properties relative to the board sold by our sponsors to see how much you want to use. Free is always good in my book.
      My build progress
      My WFO Journal on Facebook
      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

From what I can see from TC's data sheet, the IFB at least equiv. In thermal properties of ceramic board and maybe even better. IFB are used in almost all kilns as an insulator. Free is really good and I do not believe your oven will know any difference. Caveat,the bricks are not abrasion resistant and need regarding fire brick on top for floor. IFB's typically cost times more than standard fire brick. IMHO
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Working...
        X