Soldiers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soldiers

When using the full 9" soldier, I see some angle cut the tops. Is this a necessary practice or is it done to sue less mortar? If cutting them at an angle is a good idea, what angle is used?

Thank you

Michael

I'm not a real big fan of soldier courses. But, the angle can be determined by drawing a line form the center of your oven floor to the top of your soldier course (a string will work). That angle will change from oven to oven, depending on the oven width.
    Last edited by Gulf; 10-30-2015, 05:40 AM.
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

you can use my calculator spreadsheet to give you the angle. But I'm not a fan of soldiers either. Can't really use an IT with soldiers.
      My build progress
      My WFO Journal on Facebook
      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

When I did mine I cut my bricks in half on the angle. I wanted to have the joint above the floor so I wouldn't get the peel caught in the brick joint.

Randy

Comment

Originally posted by RandyJ View Post
          When I did mine I cut my bricks in half on the angle. I wanted to have the joint above the floor so I wouldn't get the peel caught in the brick joint.

Randy
          I like that idea - easier to cut the bricks that way and no waste (you get two perfect bricks from each whole). But I have to say that "getting the peel caught" is something I thought about when building the oven and it's now a distant memory. Seems a silly concern today!
          My build progress
          My WFO Journal on Facebook
          My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Hi Guys.... What is an IT? Thanks for contributing... JD

Comment

Indispensible Tool. I think that it all started here. Here is some more reading . Here are pics of some in use .
              Last edited by Gulf; 10-31-2015, 03:32 PM.
              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Hello Johnny

It is the tool that will keep your build circular and set the bricks at the correct angle. It is important that the arm is attached to the angle bracket on the brick centerline the bricks will not be set in a true hemisphere. There will be steps.
                Mine was made from a hinge some all thread rod and an angle bracket.

David

Comment

Working...
                X