Tile saw question-

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tile saw question-

To cut my fire bricks for a 42" Pompeii, I bought the 7" tile saw from Home Depot. It is the Husky brand, that cuts 2-1/4" deep, with the 1-1/2 hp motor.

I've read several threads that praise the Harbor Freight 10" tile saw.

I am not afraid to return the saw I bought, and replace it witht the HF 10" saw, if it will make my job easier. I need to get a really good saw anyway, because my wife has already told me that when I finish the WFO, I have to put tile in our bathroom, and I believe her.

Does anyone have an opinion on whether or not the 10" saw would make my job easier, or will the 7" saw do the trick?
    "Pizza, the world's most perfect food."

Re: Tile saw question-

I had an old (10 yrs) MK 7" tile saw. Worked like a champ until the brushes and armiture took a dump on me after about 12 firebricks. The HF saw is impressive considering its price and where it comes from. I think several others have been singing high praise for the HF tile saw too.

RT

Comment

I am buying my HF saw this weekend. I could have borrowed a 14" from a friend and just bought a blade, but I decided to get the 10" HF so I could modify and tweak it to make cuts easier. I bought my blades (MK Brand) on Amazon as I had heard mixed reports on the quality of the HF 10 blade. They were less expensive too! Ohh and the consensus seem to be to spend the $39 or so for the warranty. They will replace the saw no questions asked if anything happens. Good Luck

Comment

I have a seven inch tile saw, a cheap one, that's set up like a table saw, and the water reservoir is beneath the blade. Don't get this one. It throws the sludge up in your face, you can't keep your goggles clean, and you end up covered in mud. Besides, it doesn't cut through on one pass, even for straight cuts.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Tough Luck for me! I tried to order the HF saw today, and learned they are on back order until May 2nd, with an approximate 2 week delivery time on top of that. No way can I wait that long. I could have waited maybe 2 weeks tops. Oh well, hopefully the Home depot saw I have holds up.

Comment

Hey Garlic Boy - do a road trip twice and you can borrow mine. I am near LAX in Los Angeles

Comment

So far I happy with my HF dry saw (only 15 cuts or so). The only issue is it THROWS up A LOT of DUST. I'm going to try a fan to blow it away from me.

I'm planning on making a jig so I can some angled cuts for the archway.

Dick

Comment

Just got my HF saw this afternoon. Since it was on "sale" for 199.99 the Warranty was the next lower tier price of only $19 for 1 year (2 years for 34.99). If it is going to break it will be in the next 6 month as it gets abused building the oven. Good luck.

Comment

I just bought the same HF saw today. I agree, the extended "no questions asked" warranty certainly seemed worth while. I've been told the sale ends this weekend, but couldn't confirm.
                  Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                  My oven build thread

Comment

Guys,

Does it have to be a tile saw or can I use a drop saw with a stone blade. Hmmm thionk I need to go see if stone blades are availablefordrop saws to begin with. Has anyone tried a drop saw.

FOr the comment on dry saw throwing up dust if you soak the brinck in water prior to cutting maybe this wont be such a problem.

Imran

Comment

A drop saw... is that like a miter saw that is used normally for wood? Or a chop saw that is used for cutting steel? The advice I have seen says the dust from the brick will quickly wear out pretty much any saw not designed to seal out all that fine abrasive dust. Even when you soak the brick, the center will kick up some dust. I would not use a high end or expensive brand new saw that is not designed for tile/brick. However, if it is an old drop saw that you can risk destroying you could give it a shot.

Comment

I ended up buying the HF 10" saw afterall. I found one at the HF fresno store for $199. It has been working like a champ!

Comment

Good choice. Make life easy. Sell it when you're done on ebay.
                          GJBingham
                          -----------------------------------
                          Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Gang,

I bought the HF 14" "dry" chop saw for $59. So far I've made about 40 cuts... It does KICK UP the dust. I figure if If I can make it through my project I should be okay.

Dick

Assuming it makes it through the whole project it might be an option. You definitely need to use it outside.

Comment

Badger
                              Make sure you wear a respirator dust mask...as good a one you can get your hands on...lots of silica in bricks and silicosis is not a good thing at all...soak the bricks a while and it will cut down on the dust a bit
                              Dutch
                              "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
                              "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Working...
                              X